C.G. Drews's Reviews > Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate: A User Guide to an Asperger Life

Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate by Cynthia Kim

bookshelves: 5-star, adult, autism, non-fiction, read-2015

THIS is the book you need read if you want to learn about living with Autism/Aspergers. THIS ONE RIGHT HERE. IGNORE THE REST. Ha, ha, I'm kidding. But ignore Asperger's and Girls because it's horrendous and inaccurate and read THIS because this is by a woman with Aspergers. Also she's a blogger at Musings of an Aspie. And I'd read a lot of her blog prior to reading the book, so I kept doing double takes and deja vu moments with "WAIT HAVEN'T I READ THIS BEFORE?" But it didn't matter because there's tons of fresh content in here too and it's all linear and flows and just so well written. YAY FOR BLOGGERS WHO WRITE BOOKS.

It also really delves into the psychological side of autism. Cynthia Kim talks about her childhood, living undiagnosed, and just lists symptoms but also just attitudes and tells and thought-processes. It is so clear and interesting and well written. I got a little lost at the end because it gets really psychological but it was so interesting I couldn't get enough. It's quite funny at times and very brutally honest. It talks about how Autism is an invisible disability at time, especially for girls, but how "passing as neurotypical" can be exhausting and damaging. She was in her 40s before she got diagnosed. She is not a savant. She does more mental stimming than phsyical. She's married and has a kid (she talks about what it's like to be married to an Aspie and make it work, and also things Aspie parents should take into consideration while trying to raise their kids). And it's a really open, detailed book with lists and boxes and mini-chapters and just so easy and wonderful to read. JUST SO GOOD, OKAY?!?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate.

August 18, 2015 – Started Reading
August 18, 2015 – Shelved
August 20, 2015 – Shelved as: 5-star
August 20, 2015 – Shelved as: adult
August 20, 2015 – Shelved as: autism
August 20, 2015 – Shelved as: non-fiction
August 20, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
August 20, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by M F (new)

M F You seem to be reading a lot of books on the subject to try and find one that you like/approve of, ha ha. I'll take that to mean you know what you're talking about with this one! (I recently read 'M Is For Autism' which is written by teenage girls with autism. It was okay, but it's not very long, and it's written as a story rather than as non-fiction.)

message 2: by rachel ☾ (new)

rachel ☾ This sounds really brilliant! I am glad you found a book that was easy to read AND informed you well. And blogging and writing! Hats off to the writer too. :)

C.G. Drews Miriam: hehe, yes. I did like Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's too, which was more of a memoir than this one. (I mean, this one WAS a memoir, but more psychological and list-ish.) I'll look up M is for Autism! But my library has a HOPELESS range sadly.

@Rachel: Yessss, the author is incredible clearly. x)

message 4: by Kels (new) - added it

Kels So yeah... I'm pretty sure you can convince me to read about anything. *whilst I add this to my to-read list*

C.G. Drews Kelly: Your TBR thanks me, I just know it does. ;)

Falynn - the TyGrammarSaurus Rex Omg. I've wondered over the years if I might be somewhere on the spectrum and reading this on almost every page I was like "that's me", "oh, and that's me too!". 😅