Ami's Reviews > Twelfth Night

Twelfth Night by Racheline Maltese

liked it
bookshelves: mm-contemporary, mm-romance-or-erotica

Michael's penchant for being a drama prince aside -- this follow-up to May/December relationship between two theater actors is still as angst-free as the previous novella. The main plot in Twelfth Night is John's coming out progress to his friends and family as someone who is now in a queer relationship. Everybody accept it without batting an eye. In fact, the only ripple that comes from it is Michael's reaction to John using the word 'queer'.

Seriously, Michael's pushy attitude towards John -- he wants John's clear statement of being bisexual or gay, not just queer -- was grating on my nerves. I dislike people who are very pushy about labels or coming out process. It's personal and everybody has different inner struggle about it. Like John said, he couldn't erase the whole world that he lived before he met Michael -- and wasn't John being with Michael the important thing now? In addition, I don't think this couple have really talked about themselves and each other's life (including their fears, their dreams, etc) which makes me question about their relationship in the future too.

BUT, all in all, it's still a nice story in between novels. Didn't take me long enough to finish it.

PS: The story still uses third person present tense, which I think will drive some readers crazy

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twelfth Night.

August 18, 2015 – Shelved