Maria Haskins's Reviews > Inside of a Dog: What Dogs See, Smell, and Know

Inside of a Dog by Alexandra Horowitz

Read 2 times. Last read August 18, 2015 to September 21, 2015.

This is a thoroughly delightful and very interesting book about dogs. It's not the usual "how to get your dog to behave and to x, y, z". Instead, this book is about how dogs see and experience the world, how they interact with other dogs and humans, and what sets them apart from many other animals, both wild and domesticated. One big take-away for me from this book is that dogs are special: the way they are able to bond with humans, how good they are at working with humans, and how well they understand us makes them a rather unique species.

I particularly enjoyed the scientific breakdown of how dogs play with each other, and Horowitz' engaging explanation of how various behavioural experiments show how deep the connection is between dogs and humans.

This book is an engaging and easy read, with lots of new insight and information for any and all dog owners. It also promotes a much more easy going and relaxed relationship between dogs and dog owners than many "dog books", something I very much appreciated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside of a Dog.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
March 20, 2015 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
March 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
August 18, 2015 – Started Reading