Jennifer's Reviews > Burning Up

Burning Up by Angela Knight

Dec 27, 2010

bookshelves: anthology, paranormal-romance, steampunk, vampire-fiction, kindle, 2011-favorites
Read from July 08 to 09, 2011

4 stories:

1. A Nalini Singh Psy-Changeling story. My experience of this series has been that the short stories are more enjoyable than the novels. This may have something to do with the fact that the short stories seem to always involve just the changelings, and not the Psy, which is the hokier of the two races in the series. In this book a young woman with a close family who's looking for a job and in danger from some thugs, gets protection from the changelings and ends up falling for one of them. 3 stars for me.

2. Angela Knight story - the weakest one for me. The worldbuilding was decent and I wasn't lost as to who the vampires were or the Blood Roses or the bad guys (can't remember what they are called now). But the characters were so one-dimensional. It was a shell of a story to set the stage for lots of tawdry sex, and then the two leads beat the bad guys and fall effortlessly in love. I didn't care for the way the author wrote the 3-year old child in this one either. 2 stars.

3. Virginia Kantra Sea-people story. The premise and worldbuilding of this one is pretty hokey. But the connection between the H/H was well-written. Morwenna, a princess of the sea people has a quickie with Jack, a veteran of the Napoleonic wars who's returned to Scotland to be a landlord over some farms. They both get more than they expected. They eventually end up together. The best part of this is Morwenna's internal journey to accept that she actually wants to leave her life behind for this human man. 3 stars.

4. Iron Seas Prequel - Meljean Brook. Yes! I love Meljean Brook! And I most especially LURVED the Iron Duke, so this story is really why I purchased the book on my kindle. Having already been familiar with the world of the Iron Seas from reading the Iron Duke, and having already gushed tremendously about how freakin awesome I find it in my review for that book, I won't go to lengths here to describe it. I'll talk instead about the romance, because once again Ms Brook has written an AWESOME romance about a kick-ass heroine.

This story is about Ivy Blacksmith, a poor young woman who's got incredible talent for building automata and prosthetics used in Post-Horde England, and Eben "Mad" Machen, an American gentlemen turned pirate of the British Seas. Ivy seeks Eben's help in fleeing England when she fears the Horde is returning. In a quite medieval, swashbuckling kind of romance novel-y twist (that only Meljean Brook can really pull off in a book without leaving me rolling my eyes) she offers him her virginity in return for passage out of England. Little does she know, he wants her like the Dickens already but he's too honorable to do such a thing. So alot of cat and mouse ensues. She eventually realizes he is not truly a pirate, out for commercial gain, but is rescuing people from slaver ships. He also helps her realize just how awesome she is at building things... and they live happily ever after. What I like best about Ivy, which is also what I enjoyed about Mina, is she's crafty. She's bold, smart, and even when getting swept off her feet by a lusty pirate (ARGH!) she's totally in control. 5 stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Up.

Quotes Jennifer Liked

Meljean Brook
“Money could buy her slippers. Only crazy would get her a man.”
Meljean Brook, Burning Up