Book Gannet's Reviews > Take a Risk Bundle

Take a Risk Bundle by Robin Bielman

Aug 18, 2015

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, novella, 4-star-review, box-set-bundle

Updated 15/9/2015 to add reviews of the whole bundle.

If you’re looking for an escape, like a bit of history to go along with your smart alpha men and women clever and feisty enough to match them, then this bundle is probably for you.

Worth the Risk is a competitive second chance romance, with smart Sam colliding with outdoor boy Dean. It’s full of fun and sass, a bit of yearning, plenty of good memories and lots of heat in the present. I loved reading about the two of them growing closer again after five years apart and how their interests merged. They make a really good team – even if it is a tiny bit annoying how long it takes them to realise it!

Although I did enjoy Risky Surrender it’s probably my least favourite of the four. Lucy is so anxious most of the time and I never could quite match her archeology roots with the fact she’s essentially stealing artifacts – and occasionally damaging the history she should have been wanting to explore. There were times when it seemed like the risk was more important to her than achieving her aims, which is why she always turned down McCall’s help. I did like McCall though, and once the two of them finally team up they’re great. I’d love to read more adventures with them both being on the same side.

His Million Dollar Risk is the most fun of the four, with much more of a carefree feel, even though it all starts off with a lie that means things won’t end well. I loved Charlie in her clumsy, forgetful, sweet way. She definitely teaches Connor how to relax and enjoy himself, and I loved reading about their trip along Route 66. Yes, I could always see how it was going to end, but getting there was too much fun to care. This was definitely one of my favourites – though I can’t choose between this and Worth the Risk.

New for this release, One Night of Risk is a sexy second-chance romance, between good girl Malia and bad boy Clay. They were secretly in love as teenagers, until Clay upped and left without a word and broke Malia’s heart. When Malia returns to Hawaii to track down some sacred peridot to help heal her sick mother, the last thing she expects to find in her family home is the man she once loved. But Clay has more things on his mind than rekindling his romance with Malia – or at least, that’s what he keeps telling himself.

I have to admit that while I found the romance scorching and thoroughly engrossing, the other side of the plot was… less enthralling. The whole idea of Malia turning up at a special historical site and just digging stuff up struck me as fairly ridiculous – especially as she’s hopeless about it. I can understand her wanting something special for her mother, but was that seriously the only peridot she could source or that would work? As for Clay’s side of things, I found that a bit disappointing. He doesn’t really do any work, he just worries about it and has sex with Malia. As for the whole rusty nail incident? It seemed a touch unnecessary.

But if you ignore all that fluff and stuff and concentrate on the romance, then this is great. The chemistry is hot, Malia is nice without being a pushover and Clay may have a bad boy reputation, but he’s pretty sweet underneath. In all it makes for a short, hot read that I thought could have been even stronger without the silly side bits. It did, however, leave me thoroughly intrigued about the rest of the bundle.

In all I really enjoyed this bundle. It has heat and chemistry, second chance romances and opposites attract, as well as a bit of action, a touch of danger and plenty of cute and fun times. The characters are likeable, the stories are readable and it all adds up to a delightful quartet of escapes.

So, if you like hot, protective guys and women who are smart enough to match them, with an added touch of historical monuments then this bundle might just be for you. The reads are quick, the chemistry is hot and the romance is satisfying – which is exactly what I would expect from a Robin Bielman book.

(I received a free copy of this novella in exchange for an honest review.)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Take a Risk Bundle.

August 18, 2015 – Shelved