Bunnyhugger's Reviews > Networking for People Who Hate Networking: A Field Guide for Introverts, the Overwhelmed, and the Underconnected

Networking for People Who Hate Networking by Devora Zack

2055895

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011, reviews, career-related

Lighthearted and entertainingly written, this is geared towards those who abhor networking. That's basically anyone who isn't an extrovert. The author spends a great deal of time identifying the personality traits of extroverts (who talk to think, and energize with others), introverts (where it's the other way around), and centroverts (somewhere in the middle where I fit in.) The regular rules of networking are too draining for non-extroverts so the author offers tips and strategies that work along with your temperament, without discounting or overriding it. I think the most important piece of advice I came away with is to understand yourself and focus on the strengths you do have, not push yourself to develop/fake the ones you don't. This book was quite validating in that way. I'm giving this 3 stars and not more because it was quite fluffy and cutesy - I would have appreciated some more depth. Also, it focused rather narrowly on those networking at business events such as retreats and conferences (despite pointing out that life is one giant networking opportunity.) Still, I think it is worth checking out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Networking for People Who Hate Networking.

December 27, 2010 – Shelved