Angela Johnson's Reviews > Flypaper

Flypaper by C.K. Vile

Aug 17, 2015

bookshelves: favorite-books-i-ve-read
Recommended for: People who love horror/psychological thriller

Flypaper by author C.K. Vile is listed as a dark psychological thriller. I would personally suggest that the author also categorize this as a horror suspense. And I say that with utmost respect. I grew up reading and loving the masterful works of the greats like Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Yes, I know, those are some big shoes to fill, but author C.K. Vile stepped right up and laced those bad boys up! His masterful ability to grab you and pull you into his twisted world of psychosis and mayhem is what horror junkies like me live for.

I almost didn't click the link when I saw it on the list of new thrillers available for free. To be honest, I thought “Flypaper? Ewww. What could this possibly even be about?” and then I read the book description and was intrigued. To think that I almost lost out on this gem of a book and the beautifully twisted mind of C. K. Vile is actually appalling. Let me just say now that if you are a fan of horror/psychological thrillers and are on the fence about picking up this book...don't be! You need this book in your library.

C.K. Vile tells the tale of famed horror writer Nick Dawkins who's childhood was his very own horror story. Obsessively pursued and harassed by his devoted legion of delightfully demented fans Nick chooses to leave the technologically overloaded mainstream society and move to a small town in the middle of nowhere. But in this age of social media and tech savvy is it really possible for anyone to truly escape from society? Especially one with compulsively psychotic stalkers...I mean fans? Vile's ability to weave humor and suspense into scenes of havoc is a rare gift to the reader.

The main character Nick Dawkins is the guy who has everything and nothing. Plagued by his own demons and the word around him this story brings you along for the emotional roller coaster of a ride that is Dawkin's unbalanced existence.

One of my favorite aspects of this book is Vile's ability to grab you by the hand from page one and pull you down the virtual rabbit hole of character Nick Dawkin's tumultuous life. I fell in love with his writing style and became an instant fan. I have no doubt that C. K Vile will become a household name in the mouth's of horror lovers worldwide. I can already see the movies in my head! A good book will do that to you.

Flypaper, the first installment in the series is a quick but entertaining read. Not for children or the faint of heart. If you are looking to add another author to your list of beloved horror/psychological thriller writers, I would highly recommend purchasing this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flypaper.

Finished Reading