Karen Hubbard's Reviews > Allegiant

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy-scifi

** spoiler alert ** This is the (IMO) weakest of the three books. As far as I'm concerned, it went off the rails as soon as they left the city and ended up in the 'compound'. I guess I missed the premise of the 'experiments' because I didn't see how isolating people and putting them into these factions would make a genetically pure person (and I'm not sure I even understood what it was that made a person a GP) I mean, obviously, mankind has ALWAYS had wars and fighting, even isolating these people/this community didn't change that. (Why did the community have guns in the first place?) And how was it kept isolated? I mean, didn't planes still fly? Couldn't the inhabitants of the city see them sometimes? (Or maybe it was restricted airspace or something...who knows?) And if the members of the compound were always observing, how come they didn't know that there were so many divergents in the factionless population? AND...it should make sense that the factionless would actually be growing faster than the factions, right? And it sucks that Tris died. I guess Ms. Roth was trying to be a little Tolkien-esque here - civilization was saved, but not for the savior of it. (Like Frodo couldn't rest in the world he'd helped free from Sauron). J.K. Rowling was smart enough to not kill Harry (though I've heard the original intention was to kill him) and Katniss lived at the end of the Hunger Games, Tris's death was sort of...unneccessary in my mind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiant.

August 17, 2015 – Shelved