Erika (The Nocturnal Fey)'s Reviews > In This Life

In This Life by Christine Brae

bookshelves: 2016-reads, new-adult, tearjerker, e-arcs

UPDATED FULL REVIEW 01/22/16

This review can also be found at The Nocturnal Fey

My heart is still knotted tightly minutes after marking this as "read".
I was broken, shattered, but I became whole again.
I was driven into a wild roller-coaster ride of emotions -- uncertain, confused, hurt, and overwhelmed with affections.

My friend, Rafael from The Royal Polar Bear Reads invited me to join the In This Life Blog Tour. He's been going on and about the author and keeps telling me that I should read her works. I didn't expect that much because I was always too afraid to expect more when it comes to "loved" and "highly recommended" authors and books, because I often get disappointed. But that was not the case here. I was just thankful that I FINALLY gave Brae's work a shot.

In This Life was a beautifully crafted, raw, and emotionally stunning story by Christine Brae. It's all about fate and faith, sacrifices, letting go, overcoming tragedies in life, and finding one's self. This is my first Brae book, and I was captivated by her poetic writing style. I personally had a love-hate and bitter-sweet moments with this book and the characters. I get so emotionally affected that I sometimes forget that I was just reading a story and not inside of it.

The characters were too real to the point of getting pissed, agitated, hurt (and all other kinds of emotions) on their behalf. I came to the point of hating Anna for doing drastic and sudden decisions, for hurting people around her, and for not thinking clear, BUT I GET IT. I understand her. Dante and Jude, the other two main characters of the story, played their roles in the best way possible.

Dante, the best-friend, the underdog, the person you will surely fall for and the one who will get your sympathy until the end. I cried with him, I joined him on his sadness and griefs, I fell in love with his personality and undying love. I reveled in his passionate affection towards Anna until the end and it was just beautiful.

Jude, the lover, the confused and self-discovering man, and the person who will play with your feelings. After the first part of the book, I became loyal to Dante and was determined for Anna and his ship to sail that I forgot about the existence of Jude. BUT when he's in the picture, he was screaming "I'll ruin your ship!" and everything went chaos. He has something about him that even if he's too confusing, you'll still love him at the same time.

I don't know how in the world did Christine Brae made it work for these characters to be likable and hateful at the same time, but it worked! The plot twists also made me pause for few minutes, let the information fully sink into my brain processor, and think, before I recovered and went back to reading again.

There was the most hurtful part where I literally dropped my phone (thank goodness not on the floor), and cried. And there were the saddest (and hurtful at the same time) parts where I cried, ached, got shattered into million pieces of shards, became wounded and broken --- too afraid to never be whole again.

But in the end, I was granted with a great satisfaction, and I was left with a piercing and remarkable story to tell.

In This Life is a highly recommended new adult contemporary romance that I will surely reread in the future. I wish to tell so much more, but a single blog post is not enough. Congratulations Christine Brae for writing such a masterpiece!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In This Life.

August 17, 2015 – Shelved