Kimberly Tate's Reviews > Compete

Compete by Vera Nazarian

First off, if you haven't yet read Qualify , do it now. Then, if you haven't reread it, go do that. Compete picks up almost immediately after Qualify ends, so you'll be confused if you don't reread, and anyways, I think Qualify is worth it.
If you read my review for that, you know how completely in love with that book I am. Rereading it almost made me love it more, if that's possible. So, naturally, when the sequel came out, I was in complete fangirl freak-out mode.
And then I read it, and oh man. It's a little bit different than Qualify, but just as amazing!
Compete is the story of Gwen's trip from Earth to Atlantis. It covers about a year, and is a really important transition period in Gwen's life. You get to learn more about characters like Aeson Kass, and really start to understand Atlantean culture. The title confused me a little, since there's actually no competition going on, but it was still a good read.
It's not quite as action-packed as Qualify, although there are some very intense parts. There's not quite as much training, and that made me a little sad, because I actually really loved reading about Gwen's gym class failures, which actually motivated me to work out. Gwen is in some classes, though, that are incredibly interesting, such as Pilot Training. The plot was very well thought-out, and there was never a dull moment in the book. I don't know what it is, but Vera Nazarian does something to make you unable to put her books down. So, if you're trying to study, this is probably not the best book to be reading right this minute, because you'll get sucked into it and be unable to stop.
The characters, and their relationships with each other, grow a lot over the course of the book. I don't want to say any more than that, because there are some major spoilers involved here, but I should probably warn you that there is some romance and some explicit activities shown that were a little uncomfortable to read. That's how one, at least, was intended to be, but if you're scared the book is inappropriate, just know there are two or three spots you might want to skip. Other than that, it's fine. And I'm really excited to see how these relationships evolve in the next book, too.
The ending totally took me by surprise. I loved it... but I need the next book, like, now.
This book was amazing!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compete.

August 17, 2015 – Shelved
August 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
September 12, 2015 – Started Reading
September 12, 2015 –
page 12
2.16% "You know a book's going to be good when you're crying by page 12."
September 14, 2015 –
page 130
23.38% "This is amazing so far!"
page 300
53.96% "I love Aeson so much!"
page 342
61.51% "I called it."
page 394
70.86% "I have a love/hate relationship with this book. Meaning that I love it so much that I hate when the characters do something awkward, because then I feel awkward."
September 16, 2015 –
page 439
78.96% "THIS IS ADORABLE!!"
September 16, 2015 –