Adina's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

it was ok
bookshelves: short, classics, 1001, us

I do not feel like reviewing this novel/novella, whatever it is... I will just say that these kind of books made me have problems with my literature course and run away from most of the "classics". Although the books were written by Romanian authors I recognize the type. I came to my senses after joining GR and I now try to gain the lost time by reading the books that I should have covered earlier in my life. Until now the results were satisfying as I am on my way of becoming a big fan of Victorian literature. However, this book was so, so slow and i could not feel anything. I understand the power of the novel but it wasn't enough to make me like it. Also, I wish there were other endings to women having affairs than suicide.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

August 17, 2015 – Shelved
August 17, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 17, 2015 – Shelved as: short
August 17, 2015 – Shelved as: classics
November 28, 2016 – Started Reading
January 5, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 30, 2018 – Shelved as: 1001
October 10, 2018 – Shelved as: us

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Jennifer Good review, Adina! I felt exactly the same way about this book. I also gave it two stars.

Adina Jennifer wrote: "Good review, Adina! I felt exactly the same way about this book. I also gave it two stars." Thank you.

message 3: by Ms. Smartarse (new)

Ms. Smartarse Also, I wish there were other endings to women having affairs than suicide.

Adina Ms. Smartarse wrote: "Also, I wish there were other endings to women having affairs than suicide.

Sometimes they get an incurable disease and die in their 30s. (see: Effi Briest). :P"
Hmm, a fitting punishment for adultery, according to the author. Losing her daughter and living in poverty apparently was not enough.