Dawn Dolly's Reviews > I Am Julius... A Centurion of Rome

I Am Julius... A Centurion of Rome by Floyd Larck

I consider myself a neopagan, but I was raised in the Christian faith. I love Christianity- I do, and although I don't follow the Bible, I have read the Bible and appreciate it's teachings. I also do believe that there was a man named Jesus Christ who existed as a historical figure. I love reading books targeted at a Christian audience, because I feel as though I can take away a lot from them. I also usually read them side-by-side with my mother who is a practicing Christian and very involved in the church. My mother knew I always loved studying ancient Rome, and she saw this book as a fun one we could read together.

As the book synopsis states, this is a piece of religious-inspired historical fiction. It isn't meant to be taken literally, it's merely a story for entertainment that helps bring to light different characters and places within the Bible. I loved the concept of the book. It's written in a very entertaining way, but the backdrop is that of teaching people the places and people of the Bible. It's not done in a forcing religious way and the spirituality behind it, although vivid, does not overwhelm the story. It was written very very well and there was obviously a great deal of effort put into incorporating Christianity into the story in a subtle way that can make it appealing even to non-Christians like myself.

My mother loved the entire book. The story follows a Roman Centurion who ventures across the Eastern world finding the remnants of the recently deceased Christ along his journey. My mother thoroughly enjoyed how the book took you through many different places present within the Bible and also introduced you to many Biblical characters in a way that was true to the word of the Lord, but also fictionalized in a way that made for a brilliant tale.

This is sort of an adventure story, but the obvious tone is religious. With that being said, as a HUGE fan of historical fiction I've read dozens of books in the genre and this one certainly compares to some of my favorites. It is very entertaining and much of the book is very historical accurate. The author did an exquisite job of bringing to light the scenery and characters within the story in a way that was very easy to imagine. The book was easy to read, flowed well, and had a magnificent story amidst it's religious backdrop. I highly recommend this book to Christians, but I wouldn't discourage non-Christians from reading it either. It's a brilliant book all around, and I couldn't more highly suggest it to readers who find the synopsis worth delving into.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Julius... A Centurion of Rome.

Finished Reading