Cesar's Reviews > Finding Jake

Finding Jake by Bryan Reardon

bookshelves: adult

"You may have heard of my son, Jake. Most people have, but they don't know him. Not really."

Being a parent is hard. I myself am not a parent, but I have seen many parents who say it's hard raising kids. They are happy, of course. From the moment their child is born till they leave for college, there is a love for them to see them grow up and be happy. But, in between those years, and sometimes even past adulthood, it can be hard. Deciding what's good for them, seeing how they interact with other kids, if they're quiet or not, etc. It's very challenging and hard, to say the least.

Simon knows this since he raised two kids. He knows this because his son Jake may have been a part of a fatal school shooting.

The story begins with the news of a school shooting. Kids are dead and parents are in an uproar about the incident. Simon rushes to the school to pick up his kids Jake and Laney. Only Laney returns, and Jake is nowhere to be found. Then comes the news that he may have been a part of the shooting. Jake is now missing and Simon has to figure out why this happened, and it he can find Jake.

This novel was a short one but it does leave a great impact, especially for parents. Simon has to deal with the backlash of being a parent of a child who committed a heinous crime.

I recommend checking out this TED talk by Sue Klebold, who is the mother of one of the Columbine shooters. https://youtu.be/7xfyN-yBZ7c
Also check out her book: A Mother's Reckoning.

What made me really enjoy this book would have to be Simon. Simon is a stay at home dad, raising two kids while his wife works. The story is told in flashbacks and present time and the flashbacks are what makes the book the more interesting. We get to see how Simon raised his kids and his initial thoughts were about being a stay at home parent as well as raising Jake, who is different than most kids.

There is an emotional connection between Simon and Jake as Simon wants to figure out what happened to Jake. His emotions are raw and truthful to the point where I felt sorry for him and wanted to hug him. *Hugs Simon and pats him on the back*

To me, this story is about how a family is trying to get through a very shocking moment, to somehow crawl through the mess and start anew. It's that type of book where you wish good things would happen to a family that has gone through a horrible tragedy.

The only minor flaw would have to be that I wanted to know more about Jake as a character. He was fine but didn't stand out as much as I wanted to.

Even then, this is still a good book.

This is a story of a father's love for his child.

Verdict

A very raw, emotional quick read. I thoroughly enjoyed this one and would recommend it to anyone. Check it out when you get the chance. It's a really short book as well. You could literally finish it within a day or two.

Thanks for reading my review!

-Cesar

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Jake.

August 16, 2015 – Shelved
August 16, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 23, 2016 – Shelved as: adult
April 25, 2017 – Started Reading
April 26, 2017 –
page 111
42.05% "100 pages in and I'm enjoying it."
April 26, 2017 –
page 141
53.41% "Half way there!"
April 27, 2017 –
page 192
72.73% "Might finish this tomorrow!"
April 28, 2017 –