Chris's Reviews > Zaireeka

Dec 26, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-wish-i-had-never-finished
Read in December, 2010

Not finished, but the sloppiness here goes to eleven. Let's play a quick game of "Which One Doesn't Belong Here?" with the sentence below:

"It's generally assumed that drugs--particularly marijuana and LSD--are both a primary source of inspiration for the band and also an essential component of the Flaming Lips-needs the definite article experience from the perspective of a listener" (Richardson 30).

Let's for the moment overlook the mild asininity of this "generally assumed" truism and deal with the sentence itself. Anything seem--I dunno--amiss? I think I'm going with "needs the definite article" as the odd bird. That's right folks. They failed to remove the editor's interpolated commentary from the original sentence before production. It's indicative of this horribly slipshod effort, which is as packed full of errors and omissions as any book I've read. Dude even typos Wayne Coyne's name late in the book (Wayne Cone).

If there were enough insights and revelations to compensate for the painful writing (which isn't just a matter of sloppiness)it would be one thing, but those insights aren't here. The analysis of the actual tracks verges on interesting but never quite gets there. He's prone to coincidental comparisons to Pink Floyd which he admits probably only happen in his mind. Which isn't exactly helpful.

Zaireeka is a fascinating contraption--4 CDs to be played simultaneously through four separate stereos--but this adds little depth or insight to the project that can't be found elsewhere.

Watch Fearless Freaks--skip this cast off tome.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zaireeka.