Prangon's Reviews > Poison Study

Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Dec 25, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, beautiful-book-cover, urban-fantacy, read-in-2012, borderline-ya-adult, cupcake-worthy-books
Read from January 08 to 12, 2012

After a lot of probing and poking I finally caved and picked up the book. My first thought. I LOVED IT.
Study series isn't your average romance novel and I had hard time deciding if it's young adult or adult genre. Then I decided it's better not putting it under either of those label. It's a good adventure and a bit romance novel and that works for me.

I love Yelena's character and how she fights to survives when there is no hope. She hadn't grown up in a loving environment and after heating puberty it wasn't a good experience for her being one of General Brazel's lab rat. After being brought out from Commander's dungeons for killing Brazel's son she is offered either death or be the the official food taster for the Commander of Ixia. Yelena's will to live makes her accept the offer. Yelena is in no way out of danger as she enters the life of the being food taster for Commander.

Valek, is .. I don't know how to describe it. But I didn't expect him to be a love interest for Yelena that's for sure. Mainly because of the age difference but who cares. Valek is AWESOME! He used to be an assassin and now the chief of guard for Commander Ambrose. He is ruthless killer, skillful tracker, takes out four men with his fighting skills. There has been no men or women that defeated him in a fight to become him second-in-command. So when someone so powerful like Valek confesses his love for Yelena. I am floored, weeping with joy fist-pumping in air while screaming' I KNEW IT I KNEW IT'.

Somethings that confuses me in this book is that you can't guess which century it's based on. So I stick to a very alternate universe and time where some technology is available while they still live in the Renascence.

Recommended to all who loves reading adventure books.
Review posted here
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poison Study.

01/08/2012
01/09/2012
39.0% "What is this 'thing' between Valek and Yelena ... so confusing. And I am not so sure if this is an YA or Adult genre."