Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)'s Reviews > The Assassin's Curse

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke

3.5 STARS

THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE was surprisingly a fun read that I quickly devoured! I'm not one to read Pirate books, I don't even like Pirate movies, but with the raving reviews on goodreads, and the synopsis describing impossible curses, assassins, strange magic, evil wizards, and more, I was definitely intrigued!! And though I didn't love this book for certain reasons, I definitely didn't hate it either!

THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE is filled with tons of fun and adventure, but what it's lacking is romance. I thought after reading the synopsis that they're would be a type of love/hate attraction and relationship forming between the main characters. But their wasn't, even though the main character Ananna does start to develop minor feelings for the assassin, but you don't know if he starts to feel anything for her as well. Their was no hints of flirtation, no butterflies whenever he comes near, no thoughts of how his lips would taste. NOTHING! And that was a big let down, because I wanted more, and it could of been so much better with a romance between them!!

The world-building was phenomenal, filled with blood magic, assassins, pirates, evil wizards, witches, magical islands, and supernatural beings from another world! It had it all! And I enjoyed all the different aspects the author kept throwing at us. It didn't feel like too much, or overdone, or rushed, or anything like that. It was evened out and paced just right, and full of loads of fun and adventure!

I LOVED both the main charters, Ananna and Naji for their own reasons. Ananna because she was a survivor, no matter what was thrown at her she would push herself to overcome it. She was fierce, strong-willed, determined to control her own fate, and a badass with a sword and her fist. She was so fierce, yet so naive and innocent, and unsure of herself at the same time. She also had many flaws, and I appreciated that the author didn't make her out to be this beauty queen pirate. She was from what I can gather, not pretty at all. And I liked that Ananna didn't let her looks stop her from doing what she thought was best, and fighting for what she believed in. And even though pirate main characters are different from what I usually read, it was still a fun change from my normal protagonist, and I enjoyed it a lot more then I thought I would!

Naji was the complete opposite from Ananna. He was an assassin first created by The Order to become a Jadorr'a to help people from being slaughtered by the Empire. But then later The Order became corrupted by greed and wealth and started taking payment from anyone who could pay for their services. And being a wielder of dark blood magic, Naji easily fell in step and became an assassin for hire. Naji was scarred and shielded, and wasn't quick to trust or open up to anyone. So for most of the book you don't really know anything about him, but I could tell regardless of his profession that he was an overall good man, just got mixed up into a bad life that he couldn't get out of. Oh and did I mention how HOT he was too?? ;)

What I struggled with the most besides that romance aspect was the long spans of travel with no answers about the curse. The synopsis was really misleading, it mentioned a growing romantic tension between the main characters, but their was none. It also says they must complete three impossible tasks in order to break the curse, but they don't complete any of tasks in this book. They don't even find out how to break the curse until the very end, and then the actual breaking of the curse is left for book two. In this book it's mainly them traveling to different witches and wizards to find out information on how to break the curse. And that got to be frustrating after a while. I wanted to cut all the traveling and prognostication out, and finally get to the fun part of breaking the curse, but sadly that never happened.

Another small issue was the other supernatural world called the mist. These beings were hunting Naji for different reasons not related to the curse, but they seemed false, and not that realistic. They were hunting Naji for some type of revenge, but never able to track him down, yet they could find Ananna who was traveling with Naji, just not at the same place as him when the supernatural beings approached her, yet they couldn't find him. Granted Naji did have a protection repellent, but so did Ananna. So how were they able to find her but not him? It's just at times I felt like it didn't make any sense, and seemed like that aspect didn't fit well into the story, and was more of an annoyance then an actual enjoyment.

THE PLOT

Ananna of the Tanarau Pirate clan decides she's controlling her own destiny, and runs off from an arranged marriage with Tarrin, the son of the Hariri clan, and the soon-to-be ally clan as soon as she marries him. But Ananna doesn't know this soon-to-be Captain, and definitely doesn't love him, and can't imagine spending the rest of her days doing his bidding as a wife to a Captain of ship that she will never be blessed to run. And even with Tarrin's warnings that an assassin will be sent after her if she abandons ship, she chalks it up to him trying to intimidate her, and wanting to control her actions with manipulation. But as soon as Ananna jumps deck, she has a blood-magic wielding assassin on her heels, and then her real journey begins...

On the run from her own family, the Hariri clan, and the assassin she can't seem to shake, and with no money and just the outdated dress on her back, Ananna has little options, but she's not giving up just yet. She's made her decision, and theirs no turning back now, no matter of how much she begins to doubt herself. But her freedom is short lived when she's forced to go head to head with the assassin Naji, and she inadvertently activates an ancient curse, and he's forced to become her fierce protector. Now the person who was hell bent on murdering her, is now the person hell bent on finding a way to keep her alive...

With a cursed assassin as a traveling companion, an enemy Pirate clan, and some supernatural beings from the mist on her tale, Ananna must decide who she can trust and how far she's willing to go, and if allying with an assassin, and helping him cure his curse is something she should do. Or if she should leave him to his cursed demise, and just worry about getting herself out of trouble.

But with Ananna's good heart, and the assassin Naji hot on her heals, she decides helping him to break his painful obligation to protect her is the best route. Besides, since he's forced to protect her or experience pain—or even death upon himself, she might as well take advantage of the situation, and use him and his magic to keep the ones hunting her at bay. But what Ananna doesn't anticipated, is to start to form this weird type of relationship with the assassin that tried to kill her. And a growing, tender, appreciation for the man that he is. And then Ananna knows she's in way over her head, and she may just lose her heart along the way...

Overall, THE ASSASSIN'S CURSE was a great book besides the issues I mentioned above. I really enjoyed this unique world and thought it was a nice change from my normal reads! Cassandra Rose Clarke has a creative imagination and unique way of thinking, and I will definitely be checking out more her books. I'm especially excited about her newest novel releasing later in 2015, OUR LADY OF THE ICE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin's Curse.

August 15, 2015 – Started Reading
August 15, 2015 – Shelved
August 15, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 19, 2015 –
page 298
100.0% "Not as good as I hoped it would be!!"
August 19, 2015 – Shelved as: action