Becky R.'s Reviews > Dating Mr. December

Dating Mr. December by Phillipa Ashley

Dec 25, 2010

Read 2 times. Last read December 25, 2010 to December 26, 2010.

Although titled Dating Mr. December, this romantic story isn't really set in December or centered on Christmas at all. In fact, as I was reading it, I hoped that readers wouldn't get caught up in the title and put off reading it until the holidays! This is definitely a tense, sexy read.

The initial lead in to Emma and Will (hunky Mr. December) meeting one another and becoming attracted was pretty short. Those kinds of "I like you baby" leads sometimes have me rolling my eyes a bit, since I'm ever the pessimist about those kinds of love interests. I'll be honest, I felt that way in this story as well, but thankfully the author created a palpable tension between these two characters that kept me flipping pages. In pretty short order, they were snubbing one another and hiding past hurts and pain. Will was said to be a real prig who had abandoned a fiance on their wedding day, while Emma had just found that her boyfriend was having an affair with her boss, causing her to move to Will's town and away from London. Obviously, there was more to the story, which we as readers want to see them resolve.

In the end, this romance was pretty good. I liked the tension and misunderstandings between the two characters, so it wasn't all about the "come hither" of a classic romance. Although it looks and sounds like a playful, fun read, it was much more serious and tense than it lets on. Really, this is a romance you could read any time, even though the set up and cover scream Christmas. Also, if you enjoy the added tension that inevitably pushes two people together (which I do), then this is a perfect romantic read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dating Mr. December.

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
December 25, 2010 – Started Reading
December 25, 2010 – Shelved
page 12
page 45
page 72
24.49% "Picking up speed a little..."
December 26, 2010 –
page 192
December 26, 2010 –
page 288
December 26, 2010 – Finished Reading
November 27, 2011 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)