Mitchell's Reviews > Andy Catlett: Early Travels

Andy Catlett by Wendell Berry

Jan 26, 2008

bookshelves: fiction
Read in January, 2008

Wendell Berry is one of my all-time favorite authors. He writes in a style that imitate his themes of community, place, and belonging. One of the things I most like about Berry is that all of his novels focus on the same community and involve the same characters. Each novel focuses on a different part of the that community and uses a different character to narrate.

In "Andy Catlett, Early Travels," Berry tells the story of a young Andy Catlett traveling to both his grand parents houses during World War II. The book is being narrated by Andy Catlett as an older gentleman and has a sense of longing for a simpler time of life where people belonged to the land and each other.

One of the interesting things that I noticed in this novel is that by choosing to narrate through the elderly Catlett, Berry was able to talk more directly about his feelings about what is going on in the world today. I'm not sure this added much to the novel, however, and it may have been left best for one of his wonderful essays.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Andy Catlett.