Jennifer's Reviews > For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards

For the Love by Jen Hatmaker

liked it
bookshelves: spirituality, read-in-2015, netgalley

For the Love: Fighting for Grace in a World of Impossible Standards was my first read by Jen Hatmaker, so I didn’t really know what to expect.
Read my full review at www.neyhart.blogspot.com

First, the Positives:
- It’s a quick, light read comprised of 26 short chapters (224 pages).
- Jen has a great sense of humor, making me laugh out loud several times throughout the book. (Her Jimmy Fallon inspired Thank You notes were especially amusing.)
- I appreciate her focus on loving God and loving people (since that is how Jesus summed up all of the Old Testament Law for us!)

Negatives:
- The chapters seemed disconnected to me and I felt like the book on the whole lacked the depth I had expected.
- She is writing to a more specific audience than I had anticipated, that is to married women with children. And as I am neither married nor do I have children, there were times where I was less engaged with the book. Sure, I can appreciate stories about her children and even her letters to them, but in a lot of ways I just feel like the book wasn’t meant for me to read.

In sum: if you already like Jen Hatmaker and her blog or her other books, I have no doubt you will like this one too. However, if you’re like me and you don’t fit her target audience, you might want to skip this one.

**Full disclosure, I received a free e-book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read For the Love.

August 14, 2015 – Shelved