jessica's Reviews > The Martian

The Martian by Andy Weir

in honour and respect of the recent news that NASA rover, opportunity, has been officially declared dead after 14 years of being on mars, i finally wrote a review for this book. too soon? lol.

i actually really enjoyed this story, a lot more than i thought i would. i was convinced the hype was going to be misleading, but i was so pleased to find out it wasnt.

knowing absolutely nothing about planetary science, physics or botany, i have no idea if this story is plausible, or even accurate in the slightest. but you know what? i was highly entertained, and thats all that matters. this book is so funny and witty and has the right amount of humour to distract me from the highly stressful situation. because i know if i was mark watney, i would basically be thinking, ‘well, this is how my life ends, i guess.’ this isnt your classic adventure story, but it sure is a wild ride.

ps. RIP opportunity - you were the true martian.
and because space is cool, here is a link to all the stellar things opportunity saw during its time on mars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Martian.

August 14, 2015 – Shelved
August 14, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
July 24, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Lilo (new) - added it

Lilo Make sure you also see the movie. I didn't read the book but saw the movie (together with my physicist husband, who could explain a few scientific things), and we both found the movie to be "out of this world"? :-)

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Great review! We’ve had this book for a while but neither of us has gotten around to reading it. We saw the movie and it was fantastic!

jessica i completely agree - the film adaptation was amazing! but i also highly recommend the book! hope you get a chance to read it soon! :)

Samantha Zee TOO SOON. But I completely agree with this review! It was funny and entertaining and who knows if it's realistic, but I enjoyed it.

jessica hahaha. yay! so happy to hear that!! :)

Arwen This is such a great book! Loved it! I also enjoyed the film a lot, but definitely this book is a masterpiece <3
Great review :) and RIP opportunity <3

jessica thank you! and yay!! so happy to hear you enjoyed this, as well!! :)

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods* Too soon lol indeed. Terrific timely review.

jessica hehe. thanks!

message 10: by Ross (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ross Cyphers This is one of my favorite books! Using what you have to get back home really appeals to me. The movie's great too, but not as great as the book!

jessica i agree! i enjoyed the movie as well, but its blowing my mind to see how many people are in love with it! i prefer the book, but its awesome to see so much love for this story in all media forms! :)

Barbie One of my favorite! Great review. 😊

Maroua Zaatour Great review, Jessica! I watched the movie and only then did I know it was an adaptation. I didn't wait to put my hands on the book because I really enjoyed the movie. And guess what? As much as the movie was amazing, I found the book way better! It's actually one of my favorites! :)

jessica barbie - thank you so much! :)

maroua - oh wow! that is so awesome to hear! really glad you gave the book a chance and loved it!

message 15: by Adrian (new) - added it

Adrian Great review Jessica, I love the tie in to the faithful "Rover", RIP.

jessica thank youuu! :)