Adela Clancy's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

Dec 24, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, love, survival, inspiring, i-own
Read from January 14 to 24, 2011

Fantastic book!! I loved how Miranda's family developed through such hard times and in their struggle to survive with such little. It's strange to think of what seemingly insignificant things can turn out to mean so much, even as much as life or death.

If you're looking for an action thrill ride, then this is not the place to be. It was exciting in the way that I couldn't be sure what would happen next or when the family would run out of food and other essentials because wasn't a matter of 'if' but 'when'. Just as things seemed to look up, some new turn of unfortunate events would bring the family into even more difficult survival situations. Hunger, thirst, cold, illness, air..are all working against Miranda and the world. For some the book may be slow, because events don't happen page after page, but in the order of true life..like a diary. :)

Okay..now onto the characters....

Miranda: I think I relate most to Miranda. Not only is she around my age but a lot of the things she writes of are the same as how I think sometimes..if that makes any sense. I would hope that if I were in her situation that I would be able to make the same hard decisions and sacrifices as she does. I think Miranda is stronger than most teenage girls would be in the end of the world situation. I really liked Miranda and can't wait to read more about her and her family, although I don't think they come back until the third book.

Matt: He was definitely my favorite!! As the eldest brother, and only father-like figure in this little family, Matt has the world on his shoulders. The most responsibility is thrown his way by way of decision making, and muscle work. He would rather give up food and die than let any one of his family members go hungry and die themselves. I love him! =)

Jonny: The youngest of the kids, but can be just as strong as Matt. He isn't told directly of the family's problems, but he isn't stupid. He knows, and contributes in any way he can.

Mom: She sacrifices everything for her family, always trying her best so atleast one of them makes it out alive. She's a very strong character. Not a lot of mothers would be able to admit to themselves that all of their children might not make it through.

Overall, I loved this book and thought it a great story of a family's love and survival. I reccomend it. =D
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

Quotes Adela Liked

Susan Beth Pfeffer
“I guess I always felt even if the world came to an end, McDonald's would still be open.”
Susan Beth Pfeffer, Life As We Knew It

01/18/2011 page 69
20.0% "This book is really interesting, I feel like what they're going through is pretty true to the way the world would be like if this actually happened."
01/19/2011 page 110
33.0% "I would hope that if the world were to end anytime soon that I'd be smart enough to think of all the things they do to survive.."
01/20/2011 page 165
49.0% "So far I think Matt is my favorite. He sounds hot, and he seems like he's the one most contributing to their survival. Plus he's in the adult loop- the one where they speak of things kids shoudn't know. I always thought that if I were to be deserted on an island like Lost or something, I'd want to be in the loop."
01/24/2011 page 236
70.0% "Miranda's life pretty much sucks.."
show 1 hidden update…