C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Cruel Prince

The Cruel Prince by Holly Black

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2018, magical-fantasy, read-2018, young-adult, read-2019, reread
Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2019 to January 7, 2019.

Read 2 | January 2019

because one must prepare for an eternity of internal screaming, I reread this before The Wicked King and just let me say: aaaaaaaaaaaa wHY IS IT SO GOOD THOUGH. It is vicious and merciless and gorgeous and bloody and ajdfkslad I don't know what this says about me, but this is my favourite type of book. I really didn't ship Cardan/Jude the first time but I do now. Look at these two completely dysfunctional slytherin darlings go.

*:·゚✧*:·゚✧
Read 1 | January 2018

I CAN'T GET OVER HOW FREAKING BLOODILY FANTASTIC THIS WAS. I WAS GOING TO BE CHILL ABOUT THE WHOLE THING MY LMAO NO. THIS BOOK IS STABBY AND MARVELLOUS AND I WANT 9 MORE.

I'm actually reeling okay?! Holly Black has been a favourite of mine for years and I was craving more murderous dark faerie books. This is not about Tinkerbell. This is about the monsters in the woods and enchantments and torture and massacres and conniving. This book is, most definitely, about cruel wit. And I absolutely love it. Although honestly I thought it'd actually be a bit darker? But I probably shouldn't mention that because I can literally see you all throwing salt at me and asking if I was a stolen malicious changeling baby which...

...yes? I totally see how that could be.

Anyway, onwards.

+ First off, this is the ultimate Slytherin book.
It's really complex and twisty with the fey royalty plots and the conniving courts and the intriguing and the backstabbing and twisted plotting. Like the fey do REALLY well to get around the "we can't lie" thing. I have taken notes. Because obviously this is the kind of book you learn from. #NoPleaseDontRunawayFromMeImNiceSometimesImSure But it's CLEVER and complex and I crave that in a book and I got so so much of it.

+ And it's fully set IN the fey world.
Usually books about fey are more about the overlap, but this is like 98% set in Faerieland! I'M SO FREAKING HAPPY ABOUT THIS. It's saturated in the rich luscious world. The descriptions were gorgeous and just popped off the page. And everything was beautiful and pure deadly. Like hey welcome to my hOME where the fruit will kill you and there are death monsters in the pond and also if you piss off a gentry fey you'll die and also EVERYTHING IS GORGEOUS SO THERE'S THAT! Basically I was so in love with the gorgeous and brutally nasty world.

10/10 chances that if I got lured into faerieland I'd be like Jude and stay too. (I can handle the stabbing, ok? Once I even killed a fly.)

+ There's plenty of blood and stabbing.
Like, mate. We aren't going to muck about. There is MURDER and it's chilling.

+ I really loved Jude, our protagonist!
She's such a complicated person, born fully human and being fostered by, basically, her parent's murderer (also her human mum's ex husband...look the fey world is complicated). She's been raised in a world where the fey will ALWAYS despise her for her mortality. And the bullying, I think, was done really well and actually quite relatably. I mean, we're in the fey courts, for goodness sakes, but you have a relatable story line of a girl who is never fitting in or accepted because of who she was born + putting up with the cruelness of the other fey kids in her classes. And Jude was just NOT going to be run over. She wasn't overconfident or heartless, but she was badass and terrifying and clever and such a schemer. <3 <3

+ There's a lot of emphasis on family too!
Although I kind of thought Taryn was a flake and Vivi had little to no point to the story but heyyy sisters!! I do love books with SO many interesting women. Plus Oak was an adorable brat. And I loved how morally grey Madoc was. Like the dude was bad but also good?!? But BAD. Nice.

+ I admit I totally feel things about Prince Cardan.
He's so nasty and cruel and makes Jude's life miserable...which is 100% the recipe for me to hate him. I do NOT like the "ooh I like you so I'll be mean to you" story lines but it wasn't like that! I loved the twists in their interactions, but this isn't the kind of ship you'd expect. It's not even a ship?!?? Is it?!? I DON'T KNOW. (FYI I guessed what was going on with Locke VERY early.) But Cardan was mean and actually a little tragic underneath and I'm desperate to know what happens next.

ajfdsklad I didn't mean to care about this boy ajfkdlsad why why

+ I also really took my time reading and it was worth it!
Every page was gorgeous and satisfying and interesting. I can't even with how detailed the world was and how smoothly the plot ran. I LOVED Jude's narration and watching her change from someone struggling not to be walked over, to someone an acorn and a thumbprint away from manipulating the world. Ugh Jude. I love everything about you.

+ PLUS THE ENDING. HOLY YES.
EVERYTHING ABOUT IT MAKES ME DESPERATE FOR BOOK 2. Is it too early to declare a favourite of the year?! Or favourite of ever?!?

BASICALLY: READ THIS.
If you like dark fey stories and books that aren't afraid to get bloody and girls with swords and clever crafty plots -- this one. This. Eat it. Be entranced. It's terrible and beautiful and everything I was hoping for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cruel Prince.

August 14, 2015 – Shelved
August 14, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 18, 2018 – Started Reading
January 18, 2018 –
page 104
28.11% "EVERYTHING ABOUT FAERIES IS BEAUTIFUL AND TERRIBLE AND I LOVE IT."
January 19, 2018 –
page 134
34.9% "Book: here is a VILLAIN
Me: we hate him!
Book: he is cruel!
Me: we hate him!
Book: oh and he's accidentally a bit tragic
Me: we...
Me: omg"
January 19, 2018 –
page 270
70.31% "Book: what could possibly go wrong!
Book: oh how about
January 20, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 1, 2019 – Started Reading
January 4, 2019 –
page 200
54.05% "SO I GOT SENT A COPY OF THE WICKED KING ALREADY AND I HAVEN'T FINISHED MY REREAD OF THE CRUEL PRINCE. SO NOW MY WICKED KING COPY IS MOCKING ME AND I'M DEAD DEAD EXCITED DEAD

AHHHHH"
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
January 7, 2019 – Shelved as: reread
January 7, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine Mullane Definitely adding this to my list! Great review, Cait.

Marija I must read this asap :O

Taasia (libraepaintspages) I'm currently reading this and my expectations are beyond the roof! I'm excited :)) Also this is SO SO good so far

message 4: by Emma (new) - added it

Emma Added to my to-read list :)

C.G. Drews @Elaine: Aww thanks!

@Marija: you soooo should!!

@Taasia: It totally never lets down, right!?

@Emma: Excellent life decision. :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY HANDS WHY AM I SO BROKE

Monica It's like you crawled inside my head and did a book review for me! Thanks! I appreciate that! :) This was my first read of the year and I LOVED it! But now waiting for the next one is going to be brutal...

message 8: by cat (new) - rated it 5 stars

cat Your review is perfect this is everything I wanted to say! 100x yes!

Kelly Yes! This was so fantastic. :D I can't believe there's a whole year to wait for the second one though...

Mara YA Reader Reviewer 100% agree!! This shit was everything!!!

Celaena Sardothien Love your review!

message 12: by haley (new)

haley I wasn’t sure if i was going to read this one, but after your review I’m definitely gonna add it to my TBR. Thanks, Cait! Fantastic review :)

sydney m. Awesome review, Cait!! I'm definitely getting this book next week!

message 14: by Sunitha_blck (new)

Sunitha_blck what is it bout?

Rebecca Have you read Megan Whelan Turner? I think you would like her books. The Cruel Prince (so freaking good) reminded me of The Queen of Attolia in many ways.

message 16: by Aliyah (new)

Aliyah Rayne I'M SO HAPPY I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE YELLING SLYTHERIN AT THIS BOOK. But for real, this review is phenomenal

Laura Have you read Peter Pan By J. M. Barrie? Here is little spoiler for you: Tinkerbell is not very nice fairy. She tried to kill Wendy in the story.

Kimberly I loved it! I want the next book now.

Gracie Elizabeth YASSS! I ADORED this book!💜 And I am so conflicted with Carden! Like I really love him and I think deep (deep) down he might be a cinnamon roll, but I literally have no reason to love him— but I do!😍😂

Celaena Sardothien I need to get my hands on the next book. Like right now. 😍😂

message 21: by Evie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Evie Hughes I read this because of your review and so glad I did! You're hilarious BTW.

message 22: by Felicia (new) - added it

Felicia Gardner While reading the book could not help but picture this guy as the Prince.

message 23: by Donna (new)

Donna Davis This title isn't even close to my wheelhouse, but I love reading your review of it for its own sake. Way too funny!

message 24: by Martina (new)

Martina I haven't read the book, but thoroughly enjoyed your review. It was entertaining!

Sheryl I love how you called this a "Slytherin book" because I so totally agree with that!! I also absolutely adored the chemistry between Cardan and Jude!!

message 26: by Ida (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ida Lind Im realy looking forward to the next one. :)

The Bookish Faerie I always love to read your reviews of books! They are so unique with your wicked sense of humour! ❤️😍

message 28: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars