Novels On The Run's Reviews > I Surrender

I Surrender by Monica  James

4119908

Read 2 times. Last read January 11, 2014.

BOOK REVIEW by Michelle 11th January 2014:

RATING: 4.5 MONICA IS KILLING ME STARS!!

“Go home and forget we ever existed.”

Harper evicts Ava from his life with those seven words.

Four years of a relationship... over in seven words.

Enter best friend Veronica, aka V. I gotta say, I absolutely love V. She owns her own tattoo studio, Ink of Queens. She has an awesome boyfriend Lucas, who is in the band Passenger's of Ego.

Lucas and V are just right for each other.

They are a good fit.

They are uncomplicated.

Ava is suffering deeply for her relationship break up. She gave everything up to follow Harper to Singapore and watch him follow his career.

It took seven words to undo all that.

Enter Jasper. 5ft 10 inches of man, band member of Passenger's of Ego with the cerulean eyes.

Enter Indie, bimbo extraordinaire and all round pain in the arse. Indie plays the part very well. You will loathe the girl, but at the same time you can see from Jasper that there once was a girl that had potential.

"He's such a great guy and she's, she's just a Botox injection away from being Barbie's big sister. What they have in common is a mystery to everyone."

Now that is one big trouble maker.

I can't help thinking Indie has a story to tell. Jasper sees something in her. The girl he once knew.

Jasper has a broken soul, a family life that is deeply hurtful and a heart waiting to be loved. He is talented. He hasn’t had it easy. He wants to better himself.

Jasper laughs. "Well what do friends normally do ? Go get coffee, hang out, that kind of stuff. That's all I'm asking Ava. I'm an artist, I like to explore then write about it. You never know, if you turn out to be as interesting as I think you are, there just might be a hit song about you."

He likes Ava.

"Never apologize for being you Ava. True feelings that are raw, no matter how messy they may be, I will gladly take over superficial, insincere actions. You told me so much about yourself; about your vulnerability and your heartache and you didn't even utter a single word. Your tears told me everything."

Ava is a character who had all her firsts with Harper. He was her everything, even if she was blind to his controlling ways. Ava loved him, thought they were forever. She thought she was happy.

Jasper brings out another side to Ava. She wants to make herself first for once and she needs to understand what her confusing feelings are for Jasper.

Ava brings out a happy side in Jasper that few get to see.

"No because he's Jasper. Jasper doesn't do friends. I've never even seen him be friends with his so called friends but with you he's different. He's happy."

What is this thing that is between her and Jasper?

Does Jasper feel this thing?

The more the story goes on, the more I felt personally that Ava got very neurotic towards Jasper. There was this build up coming and it was about to blow.

When she was with Harper, from what I could make out, she was easy to please him and did what he said.

With Jasper she was like a volcano of neurosis flowing with sometimes quite extreme over reactions. She was becoming quite unhinged with her fears and retorts. I felt a bit sorry for Jasper.

They both had to contain the green eyed monster, but I felt like Ava was quite high maintenance.

Their friendship/relationship is fiery.

I felt like Ava was sabotaging her relationship with Jasper quite dramatically. I know she was hurt from Harper. I believe Harper just woke up and decided he didn’t want Ava anymore. He wasn’t cheating. He had just lost his love for her.

My heart did bleed out a couple times for Jasper.

"But with you, you see me, you really see me and that to me is more attractive than you will ever know."

Just when you think things are back on track...

Harmony was a character that just up and disappeared from the story. I did wonder where her friendship with Jasper went.

This is a roller coaster of angst and fiery emotion between two souls that want a HEA but are having so much difficulty reaching it.

"Ava I want you, all of you. Not just your perfect body," he says kissing my hip bones, " but you. I want to make you laugh everyday and I want to push you when you don't want to be challenged. I want to grow with you and discover where this crazy path leads us."

What I did like about Ava was she needed to sort her career out and she has a second chance at fulfilling her dream. She isn’t wasting that chance, but in true Ava style the volcano erupted again and let the lava overflow speeding towards a fiery pit of fierce emotion.

"I'm relying on you to complete me. I'm so lost; I need to find out who I am."

Jasper is quite a beautiful character. He has deep feelings for Ava early on, but he is trying to put all that straight in his own head too.

"Because of what you make me feel in here," he says pointing to his heart. "I can't control it and it scares me. I don't understand these feelings I have for you. They are irrational, and when I saw you with that guy, with his hands on you, that feeling turned to rage."

He is patient, but he also comes with his own flaws when it comes to other women. I had to shake my head a couple times at his insensitive behavior.

But then, Ava hurls back her own insensitive behavior...double fold.

I tell you what V and Lucas make it look super easy to hold down a relationship. V really does rock as a friend. She knows Ava well and she talks straight to her.

"You are both moping sad sacks of shit. I don't understand why the hell you don't talk to one another!"

I want V as my friend.

Can Jasper and Ava survive all the angst and emotion that is trying to drown them?

"I surrender," he whispers huskily, his fingers lingering on my cheek. Why do I feel there is a hidden message behind those two little words?

I am looking forward to Surrender To Me , things appear to be looking up.

But then I made the mistake of reading the first 1 % of Surrender To Me.

Monica, are you trying to kill me?

I've got whiplash.

* face plant *

The one thing is for sure, this trilogy is going to have me along for its character's bumpy ride.

Michelle

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Surrender.

July 4, 2013 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)
July 4, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
Started Reading
January 11, 2014 – Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
January 11, 2014 – Finished Reading