Kate 's Reviews > Where I Belong

Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley

Dec 23, 2010

WHERE I BELONG, by Gwendolyn Heasley, is a sweet riches to rags story. In the wake of the recession, Corrinne (teen Manhattanite) and her younger brother move to Broken Spoke (podunk town in the middle of nowheresville Texas). She is heart-broken to be leaving her best friend, Waverly, and the chance to attend a very prestigious boarding school that Fall. But Broken Spoke's charm and simple-town life may have a different affect on her than she would have ever dreamed. I really enjoyed this book. It was a charming story of a young girl getting off her high horse and learning that the world is not made up of New York City.

The cast of characters are definitely something to rave about. The people that Corrinne choose to hang out with in each place were total opposites but complimented her personality in either place. Waverly was the exaggerated NYC teen and Kisty was the stereotypical cheerleading Texas girl. Where Waverly tested Corrinne's willingness to fit in, Kisty welcomed her with open arms into a strange place. But the relationships that changed Corrinne the most was her romantic ones. She was immediately attracted to Rider. He was the rocker guy who was too cool for Texas and that is exactly how she felt initially. But Bubby, football star and all around nice guy, pestered her non-stop to question her life away from the Big Apple.

Overall this was a pretty great book. The charming characters and story really warms the heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where I Belong.