Rachel's Reviews > Battle Angel

Battle Angel by Scott Speer

it was ok
bookshelves: not-quite-realistic-fiction, urban-fantasy, sucky-ending, ya-novels

Well. Okay. Um.

Alright. This book is the conclusion to a trilogy. The premise is imaginative and interesting and the first book was quite good, despite the slightly iffy quality of the writing itself. The author is a movie director who had never written a book before. I'm willing to forgive.

The second book went downhill a little. Angel training, interesting, the setup for the final book and the war for the fate of the world. Sure. Fascinating. Great. Though the introduction of a completely unnecessary love triangle (predictably) annoys me at this point.

But that's not the point. This is a review of the third book. I read the entire thing. It turned out about as well as I expected, though it was a little predictable. But there were several things I take issue with.

Here's your warning: the rest of this review will be riddled with spoilers and will most likely consist of a long-winded rant. Let me say right now that there were plenty of things about this book that I enjoyed, because there will probably not be anything else positive in this review.

(view spoiler)

This series had issues. I've read fanfiction that was better written. Though, there's actually a lot of high-quality fanfiction out there. I've read fanfiction that was better than the new Percy Jackson series.

So, yeah. Immortal City is the best of the three. Natural Born Angel was interesting enough. Battle Angel was, basically, a disappointment. Not a colossal disappointment like Blood of Olympus, but still not as good as I'd hoped for. Oh, well. Time to move on with my life and never read it again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battle Angel.

Started Reading