Carly's Reviews > Over Your Dead Body

Over Your Dead Body by Dan Wells

bookshelves: favorite-characters

** spoiler alert ** I love John Cleaver, but this was definitely my least favorite of the whole series. It just felt like a filler between the previous book and the finale. It was still good because it's John Cleaver and I love him to death. He's been one of my all time favorite characters for years now and I'm sad it took me so long to get around to reading this book. It sucks that I have this book four stars when all the other books have been five stars for me.

Maybe one reason I didn't love this book as much as I wanted to is because John just isn't the same character he was in the first three books. I'm all for character development, but sometimes when John had such intense feelings I would grumble a little bit because it just didn't feel like the John I fell in love with. Sometimes it irks me that he magically developed feelings. He's a sociopath, he shouldn't all of a sudden feel guilt and everything else he feels now. I don't know why it bugged me much more in this book than it did in book four. Maybe because Brooke was there the whole time, making him feel love and the need to protect her and take care of her. I'm hoping now that he's left her in Clayton, we'll see a lot of the old John in the final book.

Don't even get me started on Brooke. I have had a huge disliking for her ever since the end of book two. Maybe I'm heartless but I don't really care about all her issues. She was just annoying to me most of the time. (Though, I did cry when he left her in Clayton, sooo maybe I don't hate her as much as I thought?) The only reason I was happy that she was there this entire time was because we got some time with Marcy again. The times with Marcy were the best. And everything about Boy Dog was cute too, I love him.

I didn't think the ending had as big of a punch as all the previous books. The end of book four just made my jaw drop, but there was nothing spectacular about the way John killed the withered in this one. Just blah. The mystery was still good though, I couldn't figure it out so I thought that made it just about as good as the previous ones.

Of course I will be picking up the last book because I need to see how this all ends. I'll most likely be sobbing because I don't want to let go of John, but I'm excited to see how Dan Wells ends all this madness.

P.S. I listened to the audiobook and I'm in love with Kirby Heyborne's voice. I will listen to anything that man narrates. I wish Nothing Left to Lose was already in audiobook form because I would've been all over that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Over Your Dead Body.

August 12, 2015 – Shelved