Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Heart of Steel

Heart of Steel by Meljean Brook

This is a Quickie Review. For the (much longer, and shockingly, spoiler free) full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.com

Expected Release Date: November 1, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Penguin
Imprint: Berkley Trade
Author’s Website: http://meljeanbrook.com/
My Source for This Book: Amazon.com
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 2, Iron Seas
Series Best Read In Order: Yes
Steam Level: Steamy

I do recommend that new readers go back and pick up The Iron Duke before reading this one, as both Yasmeen and Archimedes play a solid role in that story. That said, however, I do think that this one did a very admirable job of “filling in” for both new readers and those of us who have read a bajillion books while waiting for Heart of Steel to come out after completing The Iron Duke, and would likely stand well on its own to new readers.

As much as it pains me to admit, this book started off incredibly, but lost a bit of its steam (no pun intended) by the end. There were a few plot twists that really did nothing for me, and the final confrontation with the Big Bad was a bit disappointing. Luckily, the delightfully delicious relationship between Yasmeen and Archimedes made up for a lot of it — the chemistry between them, as well as the push-and-pull of their entire relationship kept me glued to the pages, and of course, the hotness factor didn’t hurt.

Despite a few tiny missteps, this book was absolutely worth every penny. The world that Ms. Brook has created with this series is incredibly fascinating, with a wonderfully intricate alternate history that adds such depth to the story.* Archimedes is one of my absolute favorite heroes, and he and Yasmeen were truly perfect for each other.

Recommended for fans of incredible steampunk, of adventuresome heroes with a truly romantic nature, and of kick-ass heroines who keep their awesomeness long after their hearts are engaged.

A very solid 4.5/5 Stars

*I recommend that all readers of the series take a peek at the Alternate History on Meljean Brook’s website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Steel.