Courtney's Reviews > Duchess By Mistake

Duchess By Mistake by Cheryl Bolen

liked it
bookshelves: 2015, historical-romance, ton-england

I found this book because I won the 3rd book in the series, Countess by Coincidence, through a Goodreads giveaway. I love reading books in a series, so I started with the 1st book, Lady by Chance. This is the 2nd book in the series and I have to say that I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first one and I actually took a long time to finish this book because I could just feel the drama building and disaster waiting to happen. Which, I suppose is a sign of good writing.

In general, I love the idea of wealthy members of the ton setting up a house for widows and families of soldiers lost to the Napoleonic Wars. I loved learning more about Parliament and the lobbying that goes on to get measures passed. I enjoyed the relationship between the heroine and her family members. And, I loved seeing characters from the fist book pop up in this one.

That being said, most of the gut wrenching emotions of this book could have been avoided if the hero and heroine would actually have an honest conversation. Even still, the fact that the hero and heroine didn't talk to their friends about what was going on and just left everything to blow up in the last 20 pages. OOoooh the drama! I'm sure there are people who like that, but ooh, it just wasn't for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Duchess By Mistake.

August 11, 2015 – Shelved