Sam Sigelakis-Minski's Reviews > A Curious Beginning

A Curious Beginning by Deanna Raybourn

5122058

bookshelves: books-for-2015, firstreads-and-giveaways, ebooks, mystery

I got this book as an ebook ARC through Penguin, and all the happier I am for it.

Victoria Speedwell is a plucky and courageous heroine whose story takes place in Victorian England. after her two spinster guardians pass away, Victoria is all set to start a new adventure searching for rare species of butterflies when she discovers her home has been ransacked, and a gentleman is there to whisk her away from what he fears is a deadly situation.

Once our heroine decides to go with him, her whole life is turned upside down, and she discovers that she harbors a secret that could get her killed.

My Take: Victoria as a character is sassy, determined, and independent, traits that are not often found during this time period. I loved her character, from the way she holds herself against the men to her diverse interests, and loved the fact that she collects butterflies for science. The love interest was a well-fleshed out character, a welcome change from some of the other romance novels, but I wish there was more actual romance and less playing at a future liaison. Other than that and an excessive use of foreshadowing, this novel was A+ in my book. Hoping for a sequel!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Curious Beginning.

August 11, 2015 – Started Reading
August 11, 2015 – Shelved
August 11, 2015 – Shelved as: books-for-2015
August 11, 2015 – Shelved as: firstreads-and-giveaways
August 11, 2015 – Shelved as: ebooks
August 11, 2015 –
0.0% "I just received this ARC from Penguin's First To Read, and I'm super psyched!"
August 13, 2015 – Finished Reading