Stefani Sloma's Reviews > Exit, Pursued by a Bear

Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston

bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss

I won’t lie – I was first attracted to this book by its title. “Exit, pursued by a bear” is my favorite stage direction EVER, and I was so excited about a book with that title. And then I read it, and WOAH.

EXIT, PURSUED BY A BEAR is so important. The best part of this book, in my opinion, is that it shows a different way to react to, cope with, and live after a sexual assault. There are a lot of different ways to deal with something like this, and it’s good that we’ve got a book here that shows something other than the girl who is completely consumed by what has happened to her. Those stories are definitely important too, but we need books about ALL the ways to react to this situation.

I LOVE best friend stories, and the best friend in this book – Polly – is the best of the best friends. She’s so supportive but also honest, sometimes brutally so (this was one of the instances where I wasn’t quite so fond of the book).

Hermione Winters (I love the allusions to the play that the title comes from – Hermione is a main character in The Winter’s Tale, hence Hermione Winters – but Johnston also updated it and mentioned her dad’s love of HP) refuses to be a victim. She will not quit, and she doesn’t let what’s happened to her define who she will be in the future. And I really, really appreciate this.

The bottom line: A quick, significant, emotional story about an important topic, a beautiful, supportive friendship, and a fierce, strong MC. It’s worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exit, Pursued by a Bear.

August 11, 2015 – Shelved
August 11, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 27, 2015 – Shelved as: netgalley-edelweiss
March 29, 2016 – Started Reading
March 30, 2016 –
March 30, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Evette (new)

Evette Tell me your thoughts on this one after you read it. I may check it out too.

Stefani Sloma Evette wrote: "Tell me your thoughts on this one after you read it. I may check it out too."

Will do! It doesn't come out until March though. :/