Darkfallen's Reviews > Wake

Dec 22, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-n-reviewed, greta-and-darkfallen-adventures
Read on March 29, 2011

Ummm so this is not what I thought it was gonna be. But still it was a fun, UBER fast read, and I've already faded into Fade.

He He He (yes clever, no?)

So like this cute little story, I'm gonna give a cute little review!

Shut up! I can too do a short review!! *huffs* *crosses arms over chest* lolz

I love how McMann brings some actual reality into this series. Unlike so many YA books out there, she gives us a look into the "real" high school kid. The drinking, drug experimenting, parties, the harsh reality of the 'less than stellar' parental units. You read so many good stories about teens, but never any mention of them doing anything teenish. I mean teens sneak out, teens drink, teens get in trouble. You see all of that here.
McMann's writing style is also something that I could really get used to. Her thoughts are short, precise, and jumpy.

Look a squirrel.....

While some people hate it, I absolutely LOVED it. It made everything a really fast read. I liked that I could flipped back and find out what the exact day was. And how around page 81 I realized her writing was slowing building a aching hole in my chest. Threatening to get bigger and bigger as you went along. But I DID NOT cry!!!!
Which is ultimately why this only gets 3 1/2 stars from me. This story is great. I find Janie & Cabel absolutely adorable, and so glad they have each other, but there was just not quite enough ka plow. If you know what I mean. The story builds nice. You can feel the big break about to happen, but then it doesn't come. I should have been crying like a baby with the way things were going. I didn't. I guess I just needed a bit more of a action ripping climax to make me go Squee.

All in all this is a good read and definitely worth a looksy:)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wake.

03/29/2011 page 42
20.0% "I think me and this book will get along just fine. The story jumps just about as much as I do! Squirrel!!!!!" 4 comments
03/29/2011 page 81
39.0% "I will NoT cry!!! *sniffles* you will not break my heart before I even read the first 100 pages!!!" 6 comments
03/29/2011 page 210
100.0% "Wow that was so so so not what I expected! Hey and I didn't cry!!!!"

Greta is Erikasbuddy I thought it lacked at the end. It was too colored in between the lines. But maybe the next book will have that OOMPH we are looking for.

If you like drug/booze books you should check out:
Leftovers
How it Ends
I wanna be your Joey Ramone
Ballads of Suburbia

Those are my fav high school ansty books ;)

Darkfallen I just picked up Leftovers from the library yesterday.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought it was lacking at the end. It build so nicely I guess I just needed that one big thing to happen. Like you it would have been cool if she got stuck in Cabels nightmare and had to fight for both of their lives or something. It's funny how much we think alike. I was singing Freddies song too and kept picturing Cabel monster in a red n black sweater. ;) lolz

Greta is Erikasbuddy HAHAHS!!

You can go to sleep at your house and I'll stay over at my house in my half-t-shirt with my big ass headphones on with a tv on my belly... I swear I'll wake you up in an hour ;)

Darkfallen Lol!!!!

Greta is Erikasbuddy YOu know what I just thought of?

Da da daaaaaaa dramatic music

So, Freddy Kruger was a sexual predator ;)
And he was burned in to Boiler Room
And he came back with bubbly flesh wounds

Uhhhhh.... hmmmms..... Remind you of anything?

I wonder when the hat is going to come into play? hahahs!

Darkfallen Girl I have been catching myself putti g those puzzles together too! It's almost like a twisted tamed version of the movies. Now I just need to remember what major underlying plot was in the last movie. That a way I'll figure out the next book. He he
BTW I'm pickin that book up from the library tonight but I go backto work tomorrow so it'll prolly take me a couple days to finish it!

Greta is Erikasbuddy Lets see ... OH! I think in the next movie the main girl runs a sleep clinic or something and then all the kids dream of Freddy... and one boy is a wizard!

From IMDB: Picking up where the original Nightmare left off, Nancy has grown up and become a psychiatrist specializing in dream therapy. She meets a group of children at a local hospital facing Freddy Krueger, the same demon she once encountered in her sleep. One of them is Kristen, who has the power to draw other people into her dreams. Working with a male doctor assigned to the case, Nancy helps the kids realize their special abilities within the nightmare world. When Freddy captures one of her charges, she leads a rescue attempt into Krueger's domain, in hopes of putting his spirit to rest once and for all.

Darkfallen Ah ha I knew it! It's the sleep clinic thing. When you get to the end of this book you'll understand what I'm saying!
Muwhahahas

Greta is Erikasbuddy Are you fo shizzle? Oh snap!! We cracked the code!!

Darkfallen We should become detectives. Open up a private office. Ya wanna be Starsky or Hutch!

Lolz

Greta is Erikasbuddy LOLZ! I'll be the Ben Stiller one just so I can dress up. (plus that means I get to drive the car and you can be Owen Wilson and get all the babes hahahs!)

OH! ANd we need a Huggy Bear!

Darkfallen Ummmm who should we recruit for Huggy Bear....

Greta is Erikasbuddy Well, if Snoop is doing Pepsi commercials I'm sure he'd be up for it ;)

Darkfallen Lol sweet lovin!! Call him up! Snoop D O double G

message 15: by Greta is Erikasbuddy (last edited Mar 30, 2011 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Greta is Erikasbuddy HAHAHAS!!! Then we can go out and find that dude that really likes dragons. He'll especially like you hahahas!

You can borrow my Night Fury t-shirt for that ;P

Darkfallen Ewwwww!!!!

Lmao

Greta is Erikasbuddy You're a very convincing dragon ;) Hahahas!