Kelly Byrne's Reviews > The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster

The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster by Scott Wilbanks

bookshelves: highly-recommend

I just finished this book about an hour ago, and I feel a bit scrambled in the heart and mind right now. I blame this wholly on Scott Wilbanks. His debut novel, this one here you’re reading about and trying to decide whether to pony up the cash to buy, is brilliant. I’ll give you some reasons why you absolutely must read it now.

The Language

It seems so often when I read contemporary works these days that writers have forgotten the poetry and flow of language. The grand and beautiful topography of a story created through the words an author chooses goes a long way to enhance the reading experience, especially in a book like this.

In my opinion, the language was another character in the story and it was fabulous. Whimsical, eloquent, full of humor and cheek and a voice all its own.

Writers have so often lately become utilitarian in the telling of their stories. This author will never be accused of that crime. His mastery shines vividly from the first sentence to the last.

The Characters

Indeed a motley crew of misfits and all the better for that reason. Each has been wounded by the world in their own particular and special fashion. They are unique and yet, in a way, represent all those souls who share their distinct sort of pain. They live and breathe on those pages, but they will also live and breathe in your heart after you’ve finished tagging along with them in their story.

The Story

Speaking of Story (yep, that word deserves a capitalization here) - holy twisty mystery Batman! I was dizzy from all twists and turns the plot took, and while I did guess at a couple of the revelations correctly, I was surprised and delighted by all the secret nooks and crannies of this intricate story.

You must fully give yourself over to the story and suspend any disbelief in plausibility because we’re talking about time travel here folks, so know that going in. But man-o-shevitz - what a story! This is one I’ll definitely be giving a second (or third) read.

The Heart

It packs an emotional punch you may not even see coming. There were moments that snuck up on me ninja-like at the end, that left me running for the Puffs Plus. You've been warned.

I’d like to thank the author for pulling me in and touching me so thoroughly through his incredible story. I use the word ‘incredible’ here in the literal sense meaning ‘hard to believe’ - but somehow so very real and true at the same time, as well as its other meaning of ‘extraordinary’ and ‘wondrous’. Which it is.

This is a wild ride, folks, and as the other reviewers have mentioned, it’s got a little bit of everything: time-travel, murder, mystery, love, friendships, family. Everything to wet your literary whistle and quench your thirst for a great story. Expect the unexpected.

This is Scott Wilbank’s debut novel (still shocking to me), but it’s clear this will most definitely not be his last. The author has a rare talent and I’m certain we’ll be seeing much more to come from him in the future. I’ll be waiting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lemoncholy Life of Annie Aster.

Started Reading
August 11, 2015 – Shelved
August 11, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 11, 2015 – Shelved as: highly-recommend
August 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Susan (new)

Susan Chadney Thanks for the posting Kelly, I am ordering the book right now!
XO,
Susan and pups

Kelly Byrne Excellent, Susan. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

xoxo