Cheryl's Reviews > The Manuscript Found in Saragossa

The Manuscript Found in Saragossa by Jan Potocki

22026875

From the blurbs in the front of the book: "The 100 or so stories told over 66 days are fantastic, ghostly, erotic, comic, ghoulish, philosophical and Munchausenly tall." "One of the strangest books ever written can at last take its rightful place in world literature."

This has to be one of the most uniquely-written books I have read. Totally addictive, with continued inter-locking stories that are hard to put down. The book is plot-driven, but the characters within the stories are also very interesting. The stories are pretty much over the top, but entertaining. The book is long (630 pages of smaller print), but I flew through it in 5 days. I give it 4 stars rather than 5 because two of the continued stories - of the Wandering Jew and of the mathematician - weren't really my favorites. (Too philosophical.) However, these can easily be skimmed through without missing anything vital to the overall plot. Some of the inter-connected stories could get a bit complex, but the author gives you enough reminders of how they fit so that you won't be lost. I'm really glad I read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Manuscript Found in Saragossa.

August 11, 2015 – Started Reading
August 11, 2015 – Shelved
August 11, 2015 –
page 32
5.07% ""With one hand he grasped me by the throat, and with the other he tore out my eye, the one I am now missing. He darted his burning tongue into my eye-socket and licked my brains, which made me bellow with pain.""
August 12, 2015 –
page 70
11.09% ""The momement of parting from the band was exraordinarily moving. It is even said that some of the bandits wept. I would find this difficult to believe if I had not once wept after stabbing my mistress to death, as you will discover in due course.""
August 12, 2015 –
page 153
24.25% ""When the chest was opened, a skeleton appeared, who came towards me in a menacing way. I drew my sword. The skeleton ripped off its left arm and, using it as a weapon, launched a furious attack on me.""
August 13, 2015 –
page 295
46.75% ""Where is the body of the Duke of Sidonia?" "It's in the hands of Dr. Sangre Moreno," I replied. "His pupils snatched it tonight." " Merciful heavens!" exclaimed the woman. "He alone realized that the duke had been poisoned to death. I am lost!""
August 14, 2015 –
page 388
61.49% ""At night I would slip into the attics, drill a hole through the planks and soon know all the secrets of the marriage. I relayed them to my mother, who passed them on to all the inhabitants of Allazuelos, or rather to each of them in turn.""
August 14, 2015 –
page 487
77.18% ""Rip her body apart. Scatter it across the sky and let every fragment that you tear off feel mortal pain and agony of death. ... I, Koatril, son of Montezuma, have inscribed these curses and have planted a mescusxaltra bush on this tomb.""
August 15, 2015 –
page 564
89.38% ""When I awoke it was broad daylight. I found myself lying by a black marble urn. On it I read in gold letters 'Leonor Avadoro'. In a word, I was lying beside my wife's tomb.""
August 15, 2015 – Finished Reading