Seth Mann's Reviews > The Wall of the Sky, the Wall of the Eye

The Wall of the Sky, the Wall of the Eye by Jonathan Lethem

Dec 22, 2010

liked it
Read in February, 2011

Unlike other collections, this didn't feel coherent as a grouping of stories. However, it still provided an eclectic and enjoyable journey through a series of dark and ominous landscapes that were odd, over-the-top, and constructed on the foundations of pulp traditions that reminded me of the twilight zone, tales from the crypt, and other twisty, futuristic and/or disturbing types of storytelling.

The most powerful of the stories were those that zeroed in the more disturbing aspects of our desires and with the direction we are going in as a society - following, to a "logical" and disturbing end, a series of unsettling outcomes from our collective pursuit to live longer, love more, pry further, live faster, get richer, reward greater and punish harder.

Vivid descriptions pervade some of the stories - most notably the dream sequences in "The Happy Man" and moments of displacement like this from "Five Fucks:"

"Morning light seeped through the macrame curtain and freckled the rug. Motes seemed to boil from its surface. For a moment she thought the rug was somehow on the ceiling, then his cat ran across it, yowling at her. The cat looked starved. She was lying on her stomach in his loft bed, head over the side. He was gone. She lay tangled in the humid sheets, feeling her own body.

Lover -- she thought."

Stories in this collection (those with * I liked the most)
*The Happy Man
*Vanilla Dunk
Light and the Sufferer
Forever, Said the Duck
Five Fucks
*The Hardened Criminals
Sleepy People
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wall of the Sky, the Wall of the Eye.

heather if you want to borrow my copy, let me know... it's entirely possible i got it from the laundry room.

Seth Mann heather wrote: "if you want to borrow my copy, let me know... it's entirely possible i got it from the laundry room."

I can't tell you how many books i've gotten from the laundry room here! d.c.'s best kept literary secrets are housed in dark basements full of dirty laundry - not entirely surprising i suppose. at any rate, yes, would love to borrow!