Robert Ronsson's Reviews > The Establishment: And How They Get Away with It

The Establishment by Owen   Jones

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction

The problem with this book is that the majority of the people who will read it are doing so to confirm their own understanding of this country's ills. We know that the few run it for the benefit of the few - and these manipulators of truth can be herded together under the catch-all 'The Establishment'. So far - so good.
As has been mentioned elsewhere the 'proofs' put forward to support the argument are a mixed bag. The most gear-crunching postulation being that the 'Plebgate' minister, Andrew Mitchell (Rugby School and Cambridge) found himself a 'pleb' at the mercy of the police 'establishment'.
Where the book fails is in its conclusion. To say we need a "democratic revolution" is akin to saying that a plant dying through dehydration needs water. It's all very well talking about how wonderful life will be for the plant once it's had a drink but unless you can describe the method by which the water gets to the plant or vice-versa you're left with the status quo.
Interestingly, my reading of this book coincided with Jeremy Corbynmania. Could he be the start of the democratic revolution that Owen Jones craves?Judging by the way Jones is supporting him you would think so. I have the feeling that if one of the other candidates beats Corbyn then I'll be disappointed because the Labour Party didn't have the balls to give him a go. But the same logic tells me that, if Corbyn wins, I'll be disappointed because The Establishment will crush him. Judging by the arguments in this book he doesn't stand a chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Establishment.

Started Reading