Rachel's Reviews > Demon Eyes

Demon Eyes by Scott Tracey

Dec 21, 2010

bookshelves: 2012-sophomore-challenge, arc, net-galley
Read from May 22 to 26, 2012 , read count: 5

Belle Dam is defined by its feud. It’s shaped by the secrets it keeps and the lies it tells. It’s beleaguered by its history. It’s driven by vengeance and the quest for power.

And it’s safe for no one.

Not for the humans who have no idea about its dark past. About the widow who waits in the shadows. About the witches and warlocks who battle for control. About the hellhounds who are summoned to exact revenge. And about the demons who see the citizens of Belle Dam as mere pawns in a game to be manipulated. A game that they control.

Not for Braden Michaels who only came to try and save his Uncle from a vision that foresaw his death. Who only wanted to be rid of the burden of his witch eyes. Who only wanted to be normal.

But who fell in love with his enemy. Who killed to be a savior. And who made himself a target of his enemies and a pawn in their game.

***

Demon Eyes is the thrilling, action-packed and electrifying must read second book in author Scott Tracey’s Witch Eyes trilogy. Filled with page after page of twists and turns, secrets and lies, and underhanded plots and schemes that will keep readers guessing and suspense that will keep them on edge, this story will grab from the very first line.

The author’s sophomore effort is a stunning follow-up to a story that is incredibly original, beautifully-written and immensely entertaining. Picking up just shortly after the events in its predecessor, Demon Eyes returns readers to Belle Dam, Washington, a town divided by feud and home to witches and warlocks, ghosts, demons and shifters.

Braden Michaels is still attempting to come to grips with his actions. Actions that saved someone’s life and took another’s. Actions that have far more consequences than just the guilt he feels. To start with there are the nightmares that seem too real. Then there are the visions forcing him to bear witness to events that are out of his control to change. And then there is the voice.

A voice that seems to be coming from within. A voice that offers support. A voice that urges him to act. A voice he’s not entirely sure is his own.

As Braden tries to separate dream from reality, fiction from fact, another tragedy has befallen the city of Belle Dam. A girl has gone missing. And if Braden’s visions are real, he might be the only person who can solve the mystery of who is behind her disappearance and find her before it’s too late.

Hindered by his witch eyes and by a city filled with adversaries looking for any opportunity to take him down, he’ll have to rely on Drew Armstrong, the boy who seems to want to be his protector and Trey, the boy he loves. A boy who should be his sworn enemy.

Author Scott Tracey has delivered a fast-paced, riveting and even more exciting installment in this series. With heartbreaking losses, shocking reveals, horrifying new creatures, bigger battles and a jaw-dropping ending, Demon Eyes takes this series to the next level.

And with that same easy flow and beautiful writing that the author brought to his first novel in the series, this second book really sets itself apart, making Demon Eyes an absolute must.

[On the blog I gave this my 6 star off-the-menu rating]

On a personal note:

I knew before I even picked up DEMON EYES that I would love it. I was already madly in love with the characters. I was already intrigued by the world. I was already captivated by the love story. I had already chosen sides in the feud. And I knew that the writing would be amazing.

And yet it was even more. More than I expected it to be. More than I imagined it could be. More action-packed. More nerve-wracking. More surprising. More heartbreaking. More devastating....

Way more devastating.

I got chills when I read that first line that quoted a dead man. It instantly set me on edge. It made me anxious about what was to come. It made me question just what exactly happened at the end of WITCH EYES. As if my memory of the events that left me hanging was somehow incorrect. And it made me want to devour the story as quickly as possible so I would no longer be in suspense.

I really didn’t think I could love DEMON EYES that much more than the first book in the series, because the love I had for that book was all-encompassing. But I was so, so wrong.

My love for WITCH EYES pales in comparison to just how much I loved this book. Because it had everything that book had - the intensity, the originality, the magic and the mystery. But it was darker. The tension levels were ratcheted up even higher. The love story was even more complicated. And trying to figure out who the players in the game were, what their part to play was, what their motivations were and what their endgame was, kept me on edge. For the entire read.

And then there was the mystery behind what was going on with Braden. Which at first the author only hinted at, then teased, then teased some more. For the entire book. Which nearly killed me. Because I had no idea. While I had my suspicions, I just couldn’t be sure. Not until the very end.

Through author Scott Tracey’s words I was once again easily transported into this dark and dangerous world of powerful magic, secret alliances and deadly threats and betrayals. His writing was every bit as beautiful in this sequel as it was in the first book, with its moments of humor and wit and biting sarcasm added to the mix.

The story dives deeper into the secrets of Belle Dam, explores more about the feud between the Lansings and the Thorpes, reveals more about the city’s history, unleashes more unsavory beings on Braden, his friends and his family and introduces an entirely new mystery for readers and characters to solve.

And it does all this in a way that feels like a natural progression for the story. At no point did I think things went in a direction that felt unbelievable. While shocking, jaw-dropping and nail-biting as they often were, they were realistic, if unexpected, turns of events.

Braden was the same boy he was in that first book, if slightly altered by what had happened to him and what he’d done. He was just as sarcastic as I expected him to be, if a bit more guarded than he had been. And given what he’d gone through - and what he was put through in this book - he became a much more sympathetic character.

But it was Drew Armstrong who I fell head over heels for in this second book in the series. He was confident. He was seriously kick-a**. He loved to torment Trey - and flirting with Braden seemed the best way to accomplish that. And he put Braden’s brand of sarcasm to shame. Yeah, he was awesome.

Every moment of this read kept me riveted. And with each read - yes there was more than one - I discovered something new to love about it. Some new piece to the puzzle I hadn’t seen before would reveal itself. An offhand comment I hadn’t taken notice of would open my eyes or just make me grin. And an action that may have seemed inconsequential on first read was often just the opposite.

Where WITCH EYES stole my heart and broke it, DEMON EYES decimated it. Heartbroken doesn’t even begin to cover it. Because there is no coming back from what happened.

I knew things would be darker. I knew that pit that I had in my stomach when reading book one would only get bigger when reading this book. I knew that I’d have my heart broken. I just didn’t think it would be broken as completely as it was. Or for the reasons it was.

Which has made me me very, very nervous about how this series will wrap up in PHANTOM EYES.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demon Eyes.

05/26/2012
100.0% "Oh my gosh that ending!!!! The wait for Phantom Eyes is going to KILL me!"