Victor Davis's Reviews > The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived the Great American Dust Bowl

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Egan

Oct 31, 2017

Read from October 15 to 31, 2017

This book starts out slow, but once it picks up, it's extraordinary. The first few chapters detail the history of the Texas & Oklahoma panhandle, some of the first cities founded in the area. People moved out here on the Homestead Act and immediately began plowing up the grasslands in a farming gold rush. Reading this book is harrowing. I am glad I was not alive during this time, and I have a lot of respect for those who lived through it (or died trying). What a tragic episode in our country's history. Eventually farmers got desperate enough to sign on to New Deal era conservation programs, conserving soil, replanting grasses to hold the earth, planting trees to break the winds. What's most amazing is the narrative arc of people destroying their environment, coming to terms with it, and actually taking successful steps to restore it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Worst Hard Time.

08/10/2015 marked as: to-read