Alisha Marie's Reviews > The Vyne: Mystery of the Hidden Ember

The Vyne by Daniel Walls

Dec 21, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: first-reads, sci-fi, young-adult

Life's too short to read a book you're not 100% enjoying. That's basically my philosophy. I just have too many books to waste my time on one that I feel is not going to be up to snuff. Unfortunately, this has happened with The Vyne. I usually try to forge ahead if, and only if, a book is a First Reads win (or a library thing win), but then there comes a point where you have to put a book down if you start thinking of what chores you need to be doing (and considering I'm very much anti-chores, the book just stopped for me at that point. Time of Death: 8:50 PM) as opposed to thinking about the book you're actually reading.

The Vyne was dragging on for me. I tried to persevere I did, but after 120 pages, I just couldn't take the boredom anymore. Nothing of interest was happening. And I was already annoyed at the main character, Ash. He seemed bratty and kind of like a bitch. Not very manly at all. I don't mind sensitive men, I tend to like them. But Ash started reminding me of Bella from Twilight with that whole naive, only want the boy (or in his case, girl), that's all I care about 'tude. Dude, that's so not attractive, in a chick or a guy. Oh, and also, Ash seemed to love Scar from the minute he saw her and care for her right then and there. Now, call me a complete cynic, but I don't believe in love at first sight (unless, you know, it's your actual kid you're loving immediately). That tingly feeling you get the minute you see an attractive person is called lust. Don't sugarcoat it or try to make it into something that it's not.

But my main problem with The Vyne, besides the coma-inducing boredom that was going on, was that it started reminding me a little too much of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (if you exclude Ash's Bella like behavior, I mean). There even is a Sorcerer's Stone in this book only it's called a Chrysalis. I'm sorry, but if you have something that can turn metal into gold and can prolong your life, it's not a Chrysalis. It's called the Sorcerer's Stone (or the Philosopher's Stone) and it was created by Nicholas Flamel, not by this Yen person or whoever it was that they made create it (I didn't get that far). I'm well aware that Flamel's stone wasn't a figment of J.K. Rowling's imagination, but still...that plot has already been superbly done by her, so come up with something new unless you want comparisons to take place.

So, The Vyne was sort of a dud. Or at least it was 120 pages in. Again, I could've overlooked the flaws (what I mean by that was that I would've at least finished it, not necessarily given it a good rating) if it just wasn't soooo boring. Sigh. I'm hoping my next First Reads win (which I'm dying for it to arrive) will be way better than this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vyne.

December 21, 2010 – Shelved
page 50
Started Reading
December 27, 2010 –
page 106
27.97% "This book is dragging on..."
December 27, 2010 – Finished Reading