Vanessa's Reviews > Rebecca

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

bookshelves: on-my-bookshelf

Oh my... how I fell in love with this classic novel, I adored the main protagonist and felt she was fully developed as a character. Her constant ruminations and daydreams really set the tone it's a real trip getting to be inside her head with all her naive neurotic thoughts, which often get carried away and make for a compelling read.
It follows the main (unnamed) character when she moves to Manderley with her new husband, from the beginning she is aware that she lives in the shadow of the former mistress of Manderley...Rebecca. Although Rebecca is dead it appears that her shadow is everywhere, her haunting presence becomes a nightmare for the new Mrs de Winter. The plot thickens and there is a little twist added. Oh and how I loved the wonderful vivid descriptions of Manderley, the dark gloomy gothic setting, it's all wonderfully evocative and the slow sinister mood that creeps in is just delicious. The ending also for me was spot on. I'm so glad I finally got around to reading this book and know why it's considered such a classic! 5 fun creepy stars!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rebecca.

August 9, 2015 – Shelved
August 9, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 8, 2015 – Shelved as: on-my-bookshelf
February 24, 2017 – Started Reading
March 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Love, love, love your review Vanessa! So happy you enjoyed this! Such a great book!

Vanessa Thanks so much Lindsay! I had no major expectations going in, so I was thoroughly surprised I enjoyed this so much :)

Lindsay - Traveling Sister That's exactly how I felt too Vanessa. I went into the book not knowing what to expect and was blown away with how much I loved it! I feel bad for whatever book you are going to read next because it will be hard to top.

Vanessa Haha I know Lindsay! I'm stumped to come up with a book that will rival it. I will definitely have to lower my expectations for the next book I think ;)

Brenda - Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Vanessa! I recently read this one. Such a beautiful book. I loved it. So glad to see you loved it too.

message 6: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Wells I want to read this one again : )

Vanessa Thanks Brenda! and yes Linda...I've noticed lots of people reading this one and I can see what the big fuss is all about now. Great book and one to keep in the library for another day :)

Linda Great review, Vanessa! Seriously, I picked up my collector's copy that I've owned for thirty years, just a week ago, and I can see why it is for collecting! The print is so small that I could not comfortably read it. Soooo, I'm going to have to invest in another reader-friendly copy! It was one of my New Years' resolutions--to finally read it. Your review is taking me to the bookstore this weekend! ;<]

Greg Vanessa, I've always enjoyed gothroms and this is one of the best, a direct descendent of "Jane Eyre", perhaps the Queen of GothRom.

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Vanessa! I haven't read this one yet but I will soon! So glad to see that you enjoyed this book! :)

Vanessa Thanks Linda & Norma. Yes please read I will look forward to reading your thoughts on this book!

Vanessa Thanks Greg! I can totally see the comparison. GothRom love that :)

Supratim It was a pretty nice book! I read it a long time back but I remember enjoying the atmosphere of tension and suspense.

Vanessa That's right Supratim, I loved the slow build up of suspense, it was very well done :)

Vanessa Dicesare One of the best opening lines is in this book! While I like Rebecca, I recommend Jamaica Inn, it's one of my all time favorite books. My Cousin Rachel is also worth checking out.

Vanessa Yep Vanessa this is a book that had me at hello! After reading this, I'm totally happy for more recommendations by this author. I'm going to have to get a copy of Jamaica Inn especially now I've read this and loving it so much

Karen Great book, wonderful review!

Vanessa Thank you Karen!

Bianca I've read the book a couple of times, if not more. I confess, I read the book after watching the movie.

Vanessa Ahh I'm yet to watch the movie but I know it will be even better after reading this

Lesley One of my favourite novels. Mrs de Winter's voice irritated me after a while though.

Vicky Buckley I'm reading this book at the moment and I really can't put it down. I can already tell that it's going to be one of my all time favourites

Vanessa Thanks Vicky, it's great isn't it? I love the atmosphere it really draws you in..

message 24: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Nice review! I've been meaning to read this for years, mainly because of Joan Fontaine, who is so wonderful as Rebecca in the Hitchcock film. I know some say her Rachel book is even better, but when and if I do ever get around to reading du Maurier, I'm sure it'll be this one. :-)

Vanessa Thanks Bobby! Yes you must read this book completely recommend this and I in turn need to watch the movie :)

message 26: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Vanessa wrote: "Thanks Bobby! Yes you must read this book completely recommend this and I in turn need to watch the movie :)"

Oh, wow, yes, by all means see the film with Joan Fontaine and Olivier, George Sanders. It's justly famous. It opens with du Maurier's famous first line. Fontaine deserved the Oscar, but got it the next year for Suspicion, opposite Cary Grant. I definitely need to read the book. I'm a big film buff, 1930s and '40s being my specialty, so I often come at older books from the back end, so to speak, having seen the film first. :-)

Holly  B Last night I dreamt of Manderley...Oh...I do love this book!!

*TANYA* Great review.

Vanessa I know nothing about films from that era, but am endlessly fascinated. There's a real art form that is missing from modern movies. I'm trying to widen my book and movie range to include more from the golden age of film and books. They don't make them like they used to Bobby..sadly.

Vanessa Me too Holly. Every time I hear that opening sentence. Swoon...

Vanessa Thank you Tanya :)

message 32: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Underwood Vanessa wrote: "I know nothing about films from that era, but am endlessly fascinated. There's a real art form that is missing from modern movies. I'm trying to widen my book and movie range to include more from t..."

They sure don't Vanessa. You'd probably love Rebecca, since you loved the book. I have a passion for classic film, and it's a great one. Fontaine is marvelous. I'm sure when I get around to reading this one day, I'll be picturing her as the heroine. :-)