Og Maciel's Reviews > A Long Way Down

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

12048315
Aug 09, 2015

bookshelves: owned

I started listening to audible version of this book on my way from New Jersey on a Sunday morning, coming back from a surprise trip that kept me and my family there for less than 24 hours. Since I was very much sleep deprived and achy from all the driving, I popped the first of eight or nine CDs into the car's stereo and started listening to the book.

Having read several other books by Nick Hornby, I first made sure that my kids were all asleep since I was expecting to hear a bit of profanity. Second, I also expected that the use of profanity would lead to me laughing out really loudly. Sure enough, my expectations were right on the money! I was so absorbed by the book (and I really loved that there were different actors for the voices of the different characters) that I almost didn't feel how boring and tedious the NJ Turnpike can be.

Sadly, my kids woke up right around the time I got to Delaware and I had to switch off the CD player, but as soon as I got home and put things away, I picked up my own copy of the book and finished it within a couple of days.

I really like Nick Hornby's books and how his characters are so relatable and his prose so easy to read. Whenever I read his books I feel that I'm being transported to England, walking through the streets of middle class suburbia, hanging out with your run of the mill English bloke, dropping F bombs for every eight spoken words, downing several pints of beer surrounded by a never ending cloud of second hand cigarette smoke. Whenever I read Hornby I just know that it will be time well spent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long Way Down.

August 9, 2015 – Shelved
August 9, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
August 9, 2015 – Shelved as: owned
September 28, 2015 – Started Reading
September 28, 2015 –
page 154
41.85% "Funny and easy to like, like all of his books :)"
September 29, 2015 – Finished Reading