Tessa's Reviews > A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller

Jul 11, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: biography-memoir, non-fiction, read-in-2017

I love Miller's writing voice and his blatant vulnerability; it feels human and feels personal, and helps us stop pretending that we don't think or feel or do the things he talks about. His writing is so enjoyable for me to read.

As for the thesis of the book, I have mixed feelings. I think living as if your life is a story in a book or movie can be detrimental if you're making choices purely to get a good story out of it, rather than factoring in what you truly want. I did, however, appreciate when Miller somewhat addresses this by sharing the moment in which he realized he may be living a story, but it isn't HIS story, it is a larger story he gets to participate in. And he also makes it a point to say that not every moment of life will be novel-worthy and we can/should be content with that. I just still think it's dangerous to place the meaningfulness of your life into the hands of how good a story it is, especially when we're in the inevitable slow parts or parts we don't understand. Because life is meaningful and fulfilling in those moments, too, and I'd hate for us to discount that. I do love this book's urging to be active in creating a good life, I just struggle with the motivation.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.

Quotes Tessa Liked

Donald Miller
“When you stop expecting people to be perfect, you can like them for who they are.”
Donald Miller, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years: What I Learned While Editing My Life

August 8, 2015 – Shelved
August 8, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
April 24, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
July 2, 2017 – Started Reading
July 2, 2017 –
page 16
6.27% "oops reading 5 books now"
July 3, 2017 –