Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Ghost Brigades

The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi

bookshelves: sf, 2010, the-scalz

In order to catch a traitorous military scientist, Charles Boutin, the Colonial Defense Forces transfer a recording of his consciousness into a new body. Thus, Jared Dirac is born. The transfer apparently didn't take and Dirac joins the CDF's special forces, the Ghost Brigades. When Boutin's personality begins surfacing, Jared's life takes a turn for the worse. Can Jared stop Boutin before the CDF goes to war against three alien armies?

This wasn't exactly what I was expecting from a sequel to Old Man's War but it was a damn good read. Like the first book, it was funny in places. Not only that, Ghost Brigades raises interesting philosophical questions like what it means to have a soul, nature vs. nurture, and what it means to be human. Unlike the first book, there was a lot of action.

I found Jared's innocence to be charming in the first half of the book, surprising since he was trained almost from birth to be a soldier. Sagan grew from her first appearance in Old Man's War. I even kind of understood Boutin's point of view, even though I didn't agree with it.

The writing was as good as it was in Old Man's War, just from a third person point of view instead of the first person. It had a more serious tone but still had its funny moments. I thought the plot was better in this one than in Old Man's War. I wasn't sure The Scalz could come up with a plausible threat for the Ghost Brigades but he more than did just that.

While I didn't like it quite as much as Old Man's War, I'm pretty well convinced The Scalz can do no wrong.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost Brigades.

December 20, 2010 – Shelved
page 222
December 24, 2010 – Finished Reading
December 25, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
October 2, 2012 – Shelved as: the-scalz

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

seak This puts Ghost Brigades up on my list. I loved Old Man's War, but I've had a hard time wanting to read this one because it doesn't really follow in either story or narrative form. I do like Scalzi's style though. :)

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Seak wrote: "This puts Ghost Brigades up on my list. I loved Old Man's War, but I've had a hard time wanting to read this one because it doesn't really follow in either story or narrative form. I do like Scalzi..."

The third book is more like Old Man's War. I wouldn't say you'd need to read this one to understand it but it wouldn't hurt you.

William Thank you for the review!

I loved the first of the series, but this one sucked.

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent William wrote: "Thank you for the review!

I loved the first of the series, but this one sucked."

This is another one I barely remember.