Anna's Reviews > Numbered Account

Numbered Account by Christopher Reich

Dec 20, 2010

liked it
Read from December 20 to 30, 2010

A hefty book, I chose it because I needed something to read while on a brief vacation. Though it starts out with a murder, it was difficult to get into because the setting is in Switzerland and most of the action takes place in a fictional Swiss Bank. The protagonist, Neumann, comes to Switzerland to discover who murdered his father many years earlier. He is hired by the bank’s manager and soon becomes involved with the bank's machinations. The goal of the bank is to maintain the secrecy of its depositors. One depositor in particular, Neumann discovers, deals in drugs and money laundering. Nevertheless, because of the amount of the customer’s deposits, his moral turpitude is overlooked. I enjoyed this thriller despite my lack of knowledge of the Swiss Banking System. In addition, while I have some empathy for the characters, I wasn't overly engaged. That being said, it was a fascinating and suspenseful read that had me turning the pages toward the exciting conclusion. I would recommend this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Numbered Account.