Siany's Reviews > Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter by Barbara Delinsky

Dec 20, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: read-2011

I cannot say I fully enjoyed this one as much as I wanted to, but I didnt hate it either.
A first for me from this author and I really was expecting more from it because of the subject matter, and it did start off well, but didnt get quite as good as what I was expecting.
I didnt read any previous reviews of this so didnt realise it had so many mixed reviews, so I went into this not knowing what to expect, but somehow expected more.

It wasnt the writing style so much, but the characters. I really did NOT like the characters of the young girls. I am only in my mid 20s but I do have sisters of similar age of the characters and I honestly do not think they are as stupid as the teenage girls are in this book. In fact I wanted to bang the girls heads together. I mean, babysitting as a summer job, how does that make you think you will be a good mother? I used to babysit for the kids in my street as well as my 4 younger sisters...trust me if anything it put me off kids for a bit.
But saying that I really enjoyed the relationship between the mothers, their friendship and how what their daughters did affected their whole lives. I thought it was extremely unfair how everyone attacked Susan but you couldnt help but understand where people were coming from.
The pregnancy pact is an interesting story angle and unfortunately probably does happen, but I would have liked to have gone into this in more detail. The conversation that took place between the girls and how they finally made up their minds to do it. Maybe it would have made me like them more but with the parts to this book, I couldnt relate and I didnt like any of the girls.

I wouldnt rule out reading any more of this authors books but I am not going to rush out and buy any either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Daughter.

December 20, 2010 – Shelved
June 13, 2011 – Started Reading
June 13, 2011 –
page 103
June 13, 2011 –
page 103
22.99% "wanting to strangle the teenage girls at the moment - silly girls"
June 14, 2011 –