AtenRa's Reviews > Wrapped

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, ya-fiction, mystery
Read from April 13 to 15, 2011

3,5/5

Wrapped was nothing I expected it would be and I have to admit, I had fun reading it. It was a pleasant surprise and a much needed break after so many paranormal books.

Bradbury's writing is easy going, light and mellow. The way she draws her characters is pretty much the same as in any regency romance. There is a young, rich girl who wants to do something more with her life and refuses to be contained and follow the path that is predestined for her by her parents. She wants to see the world and explore it, something that was unheard of for a woman at that time. She falls in love not with the wealthy suitor every unmarried girl covets and whom her parents push her towards to, but with a commoner, a curator at a museum, who sparks in her the flame of adventure.

I am glad I got to read Wrapped because I ended up learning so many things from it: the mummy ritual at the beginning, which was a bit disturbing (who knew the unwrapping of an Egyptian mummy passed as entertainment back then?)and which I had never heard of before, a lot of stuff about ancient Egypt which even though I find fascinating, I unfortunately haven't read a lot about . Also, because of the British Empire's "looting" of ancient treasures from other countries, Wrapped poses the question whether it's morally right for these treasures to remain in Britain and not be returned to their rightful owners. Being a greek, I am quite familiar with the situation, as large parts of the Parthenon are still exhibited in the British Museum. So seeing a subject like that discussed in a YA book, really impressed me.

As far as the mystery part of the book is concerned it was OK but a tad predictable, in my opinion. I really hope Bradbury decides to turn Wrapped into a mystery series with a different case in each book so maybe the mysteries to come will be more thought out and better planned.
Also, the romance was believable enough, but we didn't get to see a lot of it. Agnes and Caedmon didn't spent as much time together as I would have liked, since it was difficult for a girl to go out whenever she pleased and without a chaperon back then.

All in all, Wrapped is a light, breezy read which I highly recommend to regency period and history enthusiasts!

PS. One of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen! Kudos to the art department, awesome job!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wrapped.