Deborah O'Carroll's Reviews > The Thief Lord

The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke

19951545
Peter Pan meets Six of Crows (a younger version) meets The Boxcar Children in modern-day Venice with a slight twist of fantasy near the end, in this gripping adventure tale of two brothers and their unexpected friends... especially a mysterious boy named Scipio. I adored how Prosper looked after Bo--it made me happy. (Also, pet tortoises! Poor Victor. XD)

Solid 4 stars throughout, might have made it to 5 stars if it had ended how I wanted... As it is, it's being kept from a disappointed-2-stars currently by remembering that I liked it most of the time and by pretending there's a missing chapter afterward. :P

(In which... [alternate ending of my own imagination... don't read]: (view spoiler) That's what happens in the chapter that doesn't exist, after the end, which I maintain should/could happen. *coughcough* ...It all COULD still happen! I insist. Ahem. *folds arms stubbornly*)

Basically other than a couple discontentments about the ending ((view spoiler)), it was a great read. I just... am evidently enormously picky about my endings. >.> *cough* Obviously a flaw of mine... Somewhat disappointed, but I can pretend a missing chapter continuing the ending, so. XD

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thief Lord.

August 7, 2015 – Shelved
January 17, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed
January 17, 2016 – Shelved as: ya
January 17, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 27, 2016 – Shelved as: 2-stars-disappointing-lacking

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Storm (new)

Storm Lol "write" missing chapters too!!! I thought I was the only person who did that! I'm so glad that's not the case. ^-^ Anyway, great review! Ooo I love Peter Pan and the Boxcar Children (haven't read Six of Crows so can't say for sure lol), so this sounds right up my alley. ;)

Deborah O'Carroll Aha, awesome! :D I don't think I really have before...? But it needs another chapter. XD And you might like it, then! :) Eheh, Six of Crows is kinda dark, so that's why I say a younger version... But for the most part, The Thief Lord's a pretty good read. :)