Sydney Blackburn's Reviews > Love in Between

Love in Between by Sandi Lynn

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf, wtf

I DNF'd at 22% (end of chapter six).

All I can say is, how can you write first person and have so little emotion in the characters?

This book is a good example of why editors are so important, and an excellent example of how to NOT write first person.

For specific reasons why I couldn't get past chapter six...
1. when Lily catches her fiance having sex with her sister minutes before the wedding, this is the most traumatic thing ever and it's written with almost zero emotional impact. How can you do that in first person? This should have had me clutching my chest in heartbreak empathy!

2. The writing was terrible, with robotic, laundry list style descriptions. "I did this, then I did that." I've seen better writing from a 13 year old.

3. The dialogue was terrible and repetitive and about as natural as a drag queen's make-up.

4. Within the first six chapters we are told several times that Luke is rude and an asshole to Lily, when the scenes between them totally fail to support that. He's a bit distant, but he's not rude and he's certainly not an asshole! Why do they keep saying he is...?

And then when I scrolled to chapter 7, I thought dear god, how much more of this dreck is there? and checked the menu. What? Another 31 chapters??? No fucking way! DNF!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in Between.

Started Reading