Alan's Reviews > The Hunchback Assignments

The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade

Dec 19, 2010

bookshelves: steam-punk

Reading level: Middle Grades Plus (MG+ 6 and up)
Hardcover: 288 pages
Word Count: 63217
Main Focus Group: Boys
I haven't read much at this point in the genre of steam punk (think of H.G. Wells on steroids) but I really liked this book. Much like Alex Rider or one of the CHERUB Agents, this story revolves around a teenage boy, Modo and teenage girl, Octavia, saving the world (well in this case just London).
In this, the opening book of the series we are introduced to the main players. First is Mr. Socrates, who we later find out is the head of a super secret agency set up to protect the interests of the British Empire. Then there's the mad scientist Dr. Hyde who's goal seems to be that of "improving" the body of both humans and animals through altering the body and giving both humans and animals secret potions to change their DNA, or by replacing body parts with much stronger metal parts. There is also the super secret evil organization that has rescued Dr. Hyde and is now financing his experiments.Then we meet Modo, a boy of very special abilities. Mr. Socrates along with his weapons master Tharpa has trained Modo since he was an infant. Finally we meet Octavia who, as a teenage girl living on her own on the streets of London has developed some skills of her own, and along with those taught to her by Mr. Socrates and his weapons trainer Tharpa.
All in all it's wonderful fun and a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunchback Assignments.