Kristin's Reviews > The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read December 2, 2015 to December 8, 2015.

This is one strange book. Overall, I think I liked it a lot more than I expected to. (I probably would have given it four stars if it hadn't been for the smattering of bad language.) This book is so far out of my usual reading zone. It's YA and paranormal. I only decided to read it to mark something off a reading challenge that I'm doing this year (read a book set in your home state).

I was sucked in right from the beginning by the writing and characters and the odd atmosphere of the entire story. Honestly, I don't care very much about the ley line plot aspect, which probably isn't a good thing because I figure that's an important part of the entire series. It just seemed a little silly. But rather than feeling "paranormal," all of that stuff just felt like magic to me. It was written in such a matter-of-fact way (particularly all of the eccentric psychics living in Blue's house) that it felt like magical realism, which I like in books. That's probably why I really enjoyed the parts with just Blue and her family than the parts with the raven boys.

Rather than the plot, what kept me reading was the cast of interesting characters and the overall atmosphere. It felt strange and slightly eerie but also familiar (possibly because I live in Virginia, where the story is set?).

I liked it. It was definitely intriguing and near the end, I couldn't put it down. I'm sure I'll continue the series at some point, maybe next year, but I'm not in a huge hurry to do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven Boys.

August 7, 2015 – Shelved
August 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
December 2, 2015 – Started Reading
December 7, 2015 –
page 166
December 7, 2015 –
page 212
December 8, 2015 – Finished Reading
October 13, 2018 – Started Reading (Audiobook Edition)
October 13, 2018 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)
October 13, 2018 – Shelved as: audiobooks (Audiobook Edition)
October 24, 2018 – Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)