Paul E. Morph's Reviews > Into the Wild

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer

liked it
bookshelves: books-read-in-2017

This book seems to divide people. One group seems to think McCandless was a visionary; a free-thinking, wild spirit who lived his dream and died an unfortunate, tragic death. The other group thinks he was a stupid kid; an ill-prepared daydreamer who brought his demise upon himself due to his own idiocy.

I think it's entirely possible he was both. In my experience, the two states are not mutually exclusive. The one thing that's clearly true is that his death was avoidable and tragic. Whichever camp you fall into, this is an upsetting tale.

What also upsets me is that, due to the media picking up on this case, with various newspaper and magazine articles being written about it, a movie being made and (the surefire win for anyone looking to be a teenage martyr) a soundtrack album being recorded by hipster messiah Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, McCandless is being promoted as an inspirational figure for impressionable young people.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Wild.

August 7, 2015 – Shelved
August 7, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 18, 2017 – Started Reading
January 18, 2017 –
20.0% "Don't worry; I'll ask 'er myself...\n\nBa-dum-CHING!"
January 19, 2017 –
58.0% "I have such mixed feelings about this one...\n\nBa-dum-CHING!"
January 20, 2017 – Shelved as: books-read-in-2017
January 20, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Trish (new)

Trish I can only hope that they will take this sad tale onboard as a cautionary tale, rather than one to emulate.

Hahahahaha! Someone I know wrote that exact sentence under her review of 50 Shades of Garbage. ;P

Matthew I think my review was pretty close to yours, Paul!

Paul E. Morph @Trish: Hilarious!

@Matthew: Yes, I think we see eye-to-eye on this one.

message 4: by Trish (new)

Trish Paul wrote: "@Trish: Hilarious!"

:D
Actually, if we're being serious and honest, it's rather sad because it proves how much people love toxic influences.

Paul E. Morph I blame Britney Spears...

message 6: by Trish (last edited Jan 22, 2017 03:08AM) (new)

Trish Oh oh oh! I finally get a song-related joke!!! YESSSSSS!!! Are you proud of me now?! :D
(I know, it's bad that I know which song you're talking about but at least I hated it, I hope that counts for something.)

Paul E. Morph Very proud.

message 8: by Trish (new)

Trish